CH levels ~100, liner feels like sandpaper

After the pool had clear (can see the drain) and vacuumed pretty good, I finally did my first test this week.

FC = 0.5
pH = 7.5
TA = 50
CH = 70
CYA = Didn't test.

So I added 14 lbs of sodium bicarbonate, added 5 lbs of calcium chloride (bioguard Balance pak 300), 4 lbs of stabilizer, 121 oz of 12.5% bleach.

Today, I did another test.
FC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 60 (66 at pool store)
CH = 105 (117 Hardness at pool store)
CYA = Didn't test. (10 at pool store)

Then I noticed that the liner felt like sandpaper. I had read that it could be scaling, so I had the pool store to test the water also, to make sure my test kits are still working. So is it calcium, or do I still have an algae problem? Does any algae feel like sandpaper? My brush doesn't remove it.

So I added 14 lbs of sodium bicarbonate, added 5 lbs of calcium chloride (bioguard Balance pak 300)
Can you describe how you added those products?

Your readings don't indicate that scale would be likely. However, If the calcium and bicarb combined on the floor, then they could form the type of scaling you describe.

I weighed the 14 lbs of bicarbonate, then walked around the pool spreading (throwing) cups of the the sodium bicarbonate into the pool. Then added the calcium the same way. I did not wait. I added the bicarb, then measured the calcium and added it to the pool. After that I brushed the bottom of the pool. I also don't know if the sandpaper feeling was there the day before. I just felt it when I was adjusting the returns.

Why did you add the Calcium? Vinyl pools do not need Calcium.

Adding calcium directly on top of the bicarb is the likely cause of the scale. Try lowering the pH for a while, as suggested by FPM. Brush daily.

Note: Brush lightly. If you scrub the scale too hard, you might damage the liner. Patience is key.

Also, I would recommend avoiding adding any more calcium or any pH increaser.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.