Pool Light Safety

abrink

Mar 16, 2014
Orlando, FL
Recently the local (and some national) news has been reporting in injuries and deaths from malfunctioning pool lights. While I believe properly installed pool lights are likely safer than driving to the store to get bread, I thought I would ask the experts. What type of regular checks should be done on a pool light and how can we ensure a reasonable level of safety? (We have 120V lights)

Your best check is to verify that is on a GFCI and it works properly. The GFCI should have a test button on it. If pressing the test button turns the light off then you should be OK.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of these news reports have moved to the sensationalism level of journalism, so there is a lot of misinformation being put out there by them

Is it truly a 120v light or does it go thru a transformer to low voltage? Some people think they have a 120V light but don't realize that it goes thru a transformer and they actually have low voltage inside the pool thus the light is actually 12, 13, or 14V.

Hi;

I have an older Pentair pool light that has a transformer that steps it down to 12V (DC I assume) according to the specs. but there is no GFCI installed. Where should that be installed. At the on-off switch?
Thanks for any help.

Gary R.

Gary,
is there a GFCI anywere around your equipment? Perhaps on an outdoor outlet? Many time,s the electrician will wire all of the 120 v appliances on a circuit with 1 GFCI outlet in that circuit. All of hte appliances on that circuit will then be protected by that GFCI outlet. Not necessarily will every single thing have its own GFCI. My house is wired this way and so is my pool.

Perfectly safe and to code, but makes troubleshooting a real pain!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Divin Dave;

Thanks for the response!

No GFCI that I can find. All the electric was installed in 1960s and wired directly into circuits. We hardly ever use the pool light so probably nothing to worry about. Where should a GFCI be installed?

Thanks,

Gary R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.