Another "help me, please" post

The background: For the most part my knowledge pretty much extends to cleaning and balancing chemical levels. Last year in the beginning of the season my pump sparked, smoked, and died. Thanks to budget strains (due to my pay cut and our first child) we could not make the new pump/motor replacement. By the time we could, it was late summer and necessary to hire someone to drain and clean what had become our swamp, which I would have put off and done myself if not for the city threatening a fine for lack of maintenance. Our preferred people couldn't seem to accommodate our schedule, so I hired someone else (there's a long story here involving misquoted dollar amounts and two months of delays and an attempt to sell us a replacement liner that I'll save you from). In late October I tried to fill an empty pool just to close it, but with the cooler weather the liner shrank enough to bend the wall a bit and tear some of the liner. Not wanting to risk further damage or a collapse, I stopped filling the pool and just put on the winter cover. The winter was more harsh than the previous years and between snow and rain the pool filled enough to reach the torn/dipped part of the liner and a mass evacuation of water occurred.

The situation: We now have a replacement liner, but due to further budget constraints (our second child) we can't afford to immediately hire someone to replace the liner without robbing Peter to pay Paul and are considering doing it ourselves. The weather is between 70-85 and we have available family members to help but they are not pool owners. I've watched a few videos and removed a section of the "rails" and it seems reasonably easy enough, but neither myself nor the helping family members have done this before. I am more concerned about this than I was changing my first alternator as there's a bit more involved here.

The pool: Cornelius 27' which has a deck around a quarter of it.

The questions: The wall had bent inward slightly only in two adjacent sections before the liner ripped, but all supports etc. are fine. Should I still be concerned with the structure? What do I need to be aware of while replacing the liner? How can I avoid wrinkles/loose spots when filling the pool? The deck has corner posts directly behind the outer half of the joints and can't just be slid back, but can be pried up slightly once the screws are out (the pool and deck were here when we bought the house). Any advice on how to manage the removal replacement without damaging the joint piece? What questions am I not thinking of that I should?

Thanks in advance!

Hey dink! Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to hear about the tear in liner but hey... I bet those two new babies are precious! :mrgreen:

Okay... youtube is your friend and as long as you have atleast 3 good helpers, you should be able to rock this out! The bent wall should be fine as I'm just imagining it to be slightly bent in. If it's still in the strack, that is awesome and you should be fine. As soon as the pool gets filled, it should go back into place with no problems. :goodjob: As far as wrinkles go, again, youtube installing liners and you will come up with so many tips and tricks it won't be funny! I'm not sure I'm following on the deck part but if you have to remove a deck board or two to get to the top rails and post, you can try to do that. Lets hope the previous owner took liner replacement into acct when they built the deck. If it's next to impossible, maybe post some pics and we can try to brain storm a plan with you.

Oh and as far as questions you did not ask... I am going to bet that you should look into replacing the butterfly gasket on the skimmer. It is more likely than not dry rotted. You can get them at the pool store and you may want to look into replacing the return too since it will be coming off the pool during the liner change.

Thanks for the reply!

Things went pretty well if you disregard minor frustrations. Turns out all we needed was myself and my visiting 60 year old mother. Extra hands would've been great though. Replaced the return gasket and butterfly was near pristine. Using garden house to fill pool seems eternal, but gave me time to replace the sand in the filter and replace hoses. Hopefully there aren't any leaks, but the lights at the end of the tunnel :) Shame were expecting rain the rest off the week lol.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.