Crack in steps..

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
How concerned should I be? Any idea how to repair?

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

Thanks!

Howdy,

I had a similar crack in my walk ins, was losing quite a bit of water. Here's what I did: (my steps are plastic, not fiberglass)

Drain pool below level of crack, mine was the second step, so no liner issues with the level down.
Drill out the ends of the cracks with a small drill bit. This will stop the crack from spreading.
I used a dremel tool to widen the crack enough to inject Great Stuff to fill the void between the steps and dirt.
I pumped a couple tubes of the epoxy plastic filler material into the crack once the great stuff had dried.
(These two steps could be improved upon I'm sure. There may be a better way to shore up the step)
Fill the crack in with flexible epoxy, or caulk. If it doesn't flex, it will crack again under foot traffic.
I then cleaned everything up (lightly sanded) and painted with white appliance paint.
Let everything dry completely before re-filling the pool.

If you were very enterprising, you could build a dam out of stout particle board and pump the steps dry without draining the pool. Not sure how well that would work.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

Hey all... finally getting around to this as I am losing too much water.. PB said he can fix and prevent future cracks for $200.. I think I may give AquaMend a try first... thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.