Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack in steps..

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack in steps..

How concerned should I be? Any idea how to repair?

Thanks!
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack in steps..

What type of steps are these? Fiberglass, plastic, gunite ? Any chance of getting them fixed or replaced under warranty?
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Howdy,

I had a similar crack in my walk ins, was losing quite a bit of water. Here's what I did: (my steps are plastic, not fiberglass)

Drain pool below level of crack, mine was the second step, so no liner issues with the level down.
    Drill out the ends of the cracks with a small drill bit. This will stop the crack from spreading.
    I used a dremel tool to widen the crack enough to inject Great Stuff to fill the void between the steps and dirt.
    I pumped a couple tubes of the epoxy plastic filler material into the crack once the great stuff had dried.
    (These two steps could be improved upon I'm sure. There may be a better way to shore up the step)
    Fill the crack in with flexible epoxy, or caulk. If it doesn't flex, it will crack again under foot traffic.
    I then cleaned everything up (lightly sanded) and painted with white appliance paint.
    Let everything dry completely before re-filling the pool.

If you were very enterprising, you could build a dam out of stout particle board and pump the steps dry without draining the pool. Not sure how well that would work.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!
    20,000 gal vinyl IG, Pool Pilot DIG-220 w/ 60 series cell, Dolphin Pool Boy :)

4. Back To Top    #4

Please check this other thread: crack-in-steps-t8105.html
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey all... finally getting around to this as I am losing too much water.. PB said he can fix and prevent future cracks for $200.. I think I may give AquaMend a try first... thoughts?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

we use A&B Epoxy, dries fast and is a creamy color.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok.. I am losing up to 2" a day.. do you think the leak is elsewhere? I can't imagine a crack this size causing so much water loss

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh it can ! You'd be amazed how much water can go through a small crack in 24 hours.
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)