Heat bending Vs. fittings

I don't think I have ever seen a heat bent installation here on the forum. Very little advantage I can think of......the resistance of the fittings is minor.

Let us know if you bend them and post a pic....would be very interesting to see.

It takes a fair bit of skill to be able to make good bends that fit in with what you want in a reasonable amount of time. If you plumb a spa every day, it is worth spending the time to learn to do well, and otherwise isn't really worth the effort.

+1 on what Dave and Jason said.

I heat bent two 10' lengths of 1-1/2" PVC for around my pool. It can be done, but in your case, it wouldn't be worth the time it takes. Fittings are cheap in both monetary and flow terms.

- - - Updated - - -

I think all three of us forgot something.......

Welcome to TFP!

For a new pool install, go with the fittings guy. If there are any problems, you would most likely have to change it over to fittings anyway for any repair work.

Be sure to take lots of pics of the plumbing as it goes in, with landmarks in the pics for location purposes should there be any problems. You could also have the plumber put in a "locator wire" along with the pipes for long runs away from the pool.

For a new pool install, go with the fittings guy. If there are any problems, you would most likely have to change it over to fittings anyway for any repair work.

Be sure to take lots of pics of the plumbing as it goes in, with landmarks in the pics for location purposes should there be any problems. You could also have the plumber put in a "locator wire" along with the pipes for long runs away from the pool.
When we installed a long water line at a scout camp, we tossed all the empty beer cans in the trench to aid finding it in the future! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every glue fitting is a possible leak. Every heat bend isn't. A 2" 90 is the same as adding 8' of pipe to a run if my memory serves me correctly. In the middle of a build right now and heat bent every turn on the ends and even bent the pipes to come up out of the ground at the pad. Personally I would hire the bend guy over the fitting guy. Just my opinion

A 2" 90 is the same as adding 8' of pipe to a run if my memory serves me correctly.
According to Vinidex, the largest PVC pipe manufacturer in Australia, a 50mm, class 12 (2", actual bore of a class 12 pipe is 53.7mm), 90 degree bend is equivalent to a 2.81m (9.2') section of pipe at a flow rate of 1m/s (3.28 f/s)
As a comparison, 2 x 45 degree bends together are equivalent to 1.79m (5.87') and if you were seperate those two 45 degree bends by at least 4 times the diameter of the pipe (so in this case 200mm or 8"), that drops to only 0.895m (2.93')

A long radius, 90 degree bend (where the ratio of bend radius to pipe diameter is greater than 2) is equivalent to a 1.28m (4.2') section.

For me the efficiency is nothing. Eliminating a glue joint or two is the perk. Every joint you eliminate is a future possible leak deleted. A bell ended pipe joint glued correctly gives you an almost 3" glue joint versus an 1 1/4" joint at a fitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.