Vac-To-Waste, I wish....

May 21, 2014
Weston, CT
Hey Guys,

I'm dealing with opening my pool for the first time (purchased the house last summer) and I have some questions.
The previous owner had a pool robot and no vac tools. The robot did not come with the pool so we purchased the vac attachments and skimmer adapter so that we can vac the bottom.

The pool has a skimmer and another drain about 3 feet below the water line, nothing on the bottom of the pool.

Well, it seems every time I set up the vac and start cleaning the floor of the deep end the filter cartridge clogs up. I am battling a green pool which has cleared but there is stil la lot of cloudiness in the water. The pump has no vac to waste or any other diverter valves for that matter. Its all or nothing and everything goes through the filter. Is this normal, and if so how should I handle vacuuming the pool without needing to clear the filter every time?

Buying a robot is not in the cards right now.

Thoughts?

Bryan

That setup is fairly common with a cartridge filter. There is a messy, but effective way to vacuum to waste: remove the lid of the filter. All the debris will simply overflow out of the filter, making a bit of a mess, but you will be able to vacuum without clogging the filter.

I was beat to reply and my reply was geared more towards an intex pool anyways...

If you're not afraid to do some plumbing, take some pictures of your setup between the pump and filter. There may be room to add a 3 way to bypass the filter without a mess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.