Need to shock?

Apr 5, 2011
Springfield, MO
Plaster pool with SWG. Have pH around 7.4. Checked CYA 1 week ago, was at 40-45. Added stabilizer, but have not re-checked. Should now be in neighborhood of 70.

Shocked pool prior to bringing up CYA. FC was 20. After shocking, turned off SWG for a day, then turned back on. Had pool party 2 days ago. Checked FC after party, was at 6. Kept SWG on.

Today (2 days after party), water is turning cloudy. Checked Cl again. FC at 3 and CC at 0.5.

We've had pool for 3 years, only time water has gotten cloudy was when FC was near 0.

Any idea why water is cloudy now? I'd understand cloudy water with FC of 3 and CC above 0.5 (but CC is 0.5).

Given FL drop from 6 to 3 with SWG on, I assume I need to shock. With CYA probably around 70, do I need to bring FC all the way to 28 (based on CYA / shock table) given FC is measuring OK at 3?

Thanks,
Chad

Yes. We don't use that particular S word around here as a verb. You meant to type, "SLAM".

The good news is, if the water is just hazy, the SLAM process could be over with in a day.

Bring it up to SLAM. Brush the walls. Scrub the returns, the light, the skimmer inlet, anywhere algae spores may lurk. Recheck FC in a couple hours and replenish it. When you hardly lose any and the water is clear, then add the last dose a few hours before bed. Just before bed, shut off the SWG if you haven't yet, take a reading, and compare it the next morning before the sun comes up. Then either stop the SLAM or add more bleach and repeat the process the next day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.