X-Brace or standard L-Brace?

CHP

May 8, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,

Our plans are to have a 20X40 vinyl IGP installed with aprox 1500sf of natural stone decking. We are down to 2 bids, both pool builders come highly recommended and we would feel confident going with either one. The decking will be installed by a highly qualified landscape company.

The 1st PB will use the Fox X-brace system (which is promoted as "being able to withstand frost upheaval" as quoted in their booklet), the 2nd will use an L-Brace system supplemented with deck supports.

We live in a very cold climate, so frost is inevitable. My question goes out to others who also live in a colder climate and have the X-Brace system. Has it truly held up to the claims of being a better bracing system? Have you had any issues with movement of your deck? We're trying to figure out if it is really worth paying so much more for the system, or put the money towards upgrades in the filtration system, or elsewhere. And to those of you in a colder climate with a proficiently installed L-brace system, are you equally satisfied?

Our property is one great big bed of rock, once we dig 3-4 feet we will hit a bit of shale and then rock. We know this from experience of putting on an addition to our house and going geo-thermal. The pool will have a nice solid foundation; we will have no issues of soil errosion or sand or clay to deal with. Which is why we are questioning whether we even need to spend so much more on the bracing system.

Please note I'm not looking for comments bashing or insulting either system. I would just like feedback whether anyone has had decking issues with regards to their brace system.

Thanks

Very few people know what kind of bracing they have, so I'm not sure how many responses you are going to get.

Also, the bracing system is a fairly minor portion of the total cost of a pool. I wouldn't expect a bracing upgrade to be "so much more".

Thank you both for your replies!
We've been discussing the brace systems with our landcape company. We've decided to go with a mortared stone deck (wet lay ontop of a cement base), with cantilevered stone coping. They can work with either system, but suggested they pour all of the cement decking, instead of the PB pouring his 3 or 4ft perimeter slab, and then they (landscapers) having to tie theirs in afterwards.
BTW JasonLion, Fox's system is higher in price because of the X design and having all their walls & braces being powder coated to prevent corrosion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.