Testing CYA

Sep 26, 2007
Southern NH
Been running BBB for a few weeks now. :goodjob: The pool is awesome, crystal clear. Unbelievably better than Baq was. So, my only question is with CYA. According to my test kit I'm at 20ppm's. It seems like I've put in alot of CYA/stabilizer but maybe not seeing I'm still new at this. It's been a week since I last put some in but I don't want to over do it. I'm almost out of reagent from testing it multiple times. The poolcalculator says add 40oz to get to 40, I guess that's my next step. So can I buy more re-agent? My test kit is full otherwise.

Mike in NH,

I am a little reluctant to "advertise" here for free but, just from a quick glance, it looks like my reagents might be pretty close to half price over the link heikejohn provided.

tftestkits.com

Mike, I'm also new to the BBB method and not that knowledgeable but I would recommend going easy on the CYA. Give it a little time and get your reagent, then test again.

I screwed up and overshot on the CYA and am now between 60 and 70, granted I was not using a good test kit at the time. I tried to do it with test strips, what a mistake!

Roger

I agree with astrolite, put in 20 oz instead and then wait for your refill, TF TEst kits is cheaper for most testing supplies and I've also noticed when ordering from others, pay close attention to the amounts. The price might be cheaper but frequently so is the amount of reagents you get.

Thanks for the replies, I was also thinking of 20 oz for now. It's been hot here lately so the cl is burning off quickly, trying to get my CYA optimal but not too high.

Thanks duraleigh, I bought my big kit from you. Can you give me more detail on the Liquidator and how it works? Right now I'm sitting in front of the computer with a white bleach spot on my navy t-shirt...oops. I just opened a new 10 gallon container of chlorine, a bit heavy to deal with. I wish I could find a spout to attach to it.

MikeInNH said:
Thanks for the replies, I was also thinking of 20 oz for now. It's been hot here lately so the cl is burning off quickly, trying to get my CYA optimal but not too high.

Thanks duraleigh, I bought my big kit from you. Can you give me more detail on the Liquidator and how it works? Right now I'm sitting in front of the computer with a white bleach spot on my navy t-shirt...oops. I just opened a new 10 gallon container of chlorine, a bit heavy to deal with. I wish I could find a spout to attach to it.

What about a home brewery supplier? Maybe something there could work? (shot in the dark here)

Testimonial for TF products -- I have reordered various reagents from duraleigh and they seem very reasonably-priced, and they are the exact replacement sizes of the originals that were in the kit. You get to order 'a la carte' from his site, and shipping is reasonable, so you can just order one or two as needed.
As far as CYA goes, I had trouble with figuring that one out, also, but basically after several discussions on this site, I decided to slowly add the CYA powder directly into the skimmer, NOT backwash for at least a week after, and test the CYA no sooner than one week after adding.
And for your idea on going low on the CYA estimate, good idea, it took me a couple of times but I finally got my CYA up (hopefully) without adding too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.