Stacked Stone "Pool" - Pool care adjustments?

Cyclo

Jul 19, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My first post! Although this forum and the pool calculator have been an invaluable tool for me and my "newbieness."

As you can see from my signature, we have created a small (2500 gal) in-ground stacked stone "pool" (we call it The Oasis), which is a combination of a decorative landscape feature and "plunge pool." We've got a pump and filter system (our return is four small waterfalls), and I keep it sanitized (with liquid chlorine bleach, stabilized with CYA) and balanced just like any "normal" pool, using the Taylor K-2006 test kit for measurements.

My question is, are there any adjustments to the basic pool care I need to consider, since my pool surface is all natural stone? Both the walls (stacked stone) and the floor (stone pavers) of the pool are field stone from Blue Max landscape supply, and are mortared in on top of a thick rubber liner.

When I use the pool calculator I notice it references plaster, fiberglass and vinyl; and the posts refer to other materials such as gunnite. But since this is a "non-standard" pool, I wondered if there are things I need to worry about that may not show up in "standard" pool care calculations. The one thing I thought might be important would be to keep the CH in the appropriate range so the water doesn't eat up the stone or the mortar. As the "Basic Pool Chemistry" states, "low calcium levels will tend to dissolve calcium out of plaster, pebble, tile, stone, concrete...".

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!

P.S. Forgot to add current test readings:

FC - 3
CC - 0
pH - 7.0 (it's on its way up due to the aeration from the waterfalls)
TA - 80
CH - 180 (I'm working on increasing this by adding calcium chloride - any recommended target, other than "200 - 400"?)
CYA - 30

Attachments

• Oasis_small.jpg
    Oasis_small.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 52
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.