richh a non-pool owner!

Richh

May 23, 2014
USA
Hello everyone, I'm a non pool owner that has an extensive chemistry background. I work for a manufacturer that will remain nameless in the R&D of new products. I frequently lurk the forums for reoccurring problems with hope of finding solutions for all of you. My parents own a pool, so any questions above and beyond what myself or co-workers can answer, I'll bring to ya'll. (I don't expect there to be many :p)

Welcome!

Here's some recurring problems to solve and make your fortune with:

Am inexpensive solid form of chlorine with no ugly additives
Isolate the bacteria that converts CYA into ammonia
Some sort of electrolysis unit to pull Calcium out of solution into crystals that can be scraped off and thrown away.

Welcome!

Here's some recurring problems to solve and make your fortune with:

Am inexpensive solid form of chlorine with no ugly additives
Isolate the bacteria that converts CYA into ammonia
Some sort of electrolysis unit to pull Calcium out of solution into crystals that can be scraped off and thrown away.

Excellent! I'm working on parts of these right now. I'll let you know when I come up with the next best thing! Thanks for the input.

Hey, rich.
I don't understand chemistry enough to even ask the question I want to ask. I guess I don't understand why I have to put salt into my pool to use a chlorine generator. I understand that these things (electronically?) alter the sodium chloride into sodium hypochlorite, but I would imagine that the salt could be held in a brine tank outside of the pool. Could the chlorine be generated in a separate circuit and then just added by the system as needed? Doesn't the process consume the salt anyway? I'm just not interested in adding hundreds of pounds of salt to my pool.

Also, my water stays clear without a lot of pump run time. The problem is that anything that falls in the water during the day either stays there until the pump runs and the skimmer gets it or it just sinks. I mentioned in another post that I would like a solar powered pool skimming robot/boat thing that just floats around and collects anything that falls in the pool. I haven't found anything like this for sale yet so... I need you to get someone on top of that right away. Have something on my desk by the end of the week ;)

Last edited:
Hey, rich.
My water stays clear without a lot of pump run time. The problem is that anything that falls in the water during the day either stays there until the pump runs and the skimmer gets it or it just sinks. I mentioned in another post that I would like a solar powered pool skimming robot/boat thing that just floats around and collects anything that falls in the pool. I haven't found anything like this for sale yet so... I need you to get on top of that right away. Have something on my desk by the end of the week ;)
It's been done already. https://www.solar-breeze.com/

I nominate you to buy one and test it and post a review.

The other one, too:

http://www.thechlorinefactory.com/

Last edited:
Thinking Cap: Back in the day there were Salt Water Chlorination Systems in R&D that attempted to use external storage and injection t0 chlorinate. The problems were two fold. First, the overall chemistry was quite caustic when attempting this on a small scale for residential pools. Secondly, the recombining of elements did not work so well in such a small volume, which meant consuming salt on a continuous basis, why salt levels in the pool would continue to climb anyway. In modern salt water pools, the chlorine goes back to salt when consumed, which means not much salt gets added over time. Splash Out, Backwashing and Rain Dilution cause some salt loss, but evaporation does not. I have only added 40 pounds in two years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thinking Cap: There is at least one product on the market that does this, the topic came up here with someone that owned one or was thinking about getting one a couple of months ago. I forget the name of the unit, but it was basically a Chlor/Alki plant in a box, the big downside is the byproduct of generating chlorine that was is Caustic Soda as a byproduct, which I for one don't want to have to handle and dispose of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloralkali_process