chemical/ electrical question burnt pump

May 15, 2014
Gaffney, SC
My water level finally got to the proper level last night, CYA put in yesterday afternoon, bleach last night and then the pump died. I was running a 100ft uf 12-2 to a gfi that the pump was plugged into, 20 amp breaker. Pump got extremely hot and shut off. After cool down I restarted the pump and it ran for a couple seconds and shut off, with a wisp of smoke from the pump. It is a 12 amp 115 volt pump. Not sure if it could have been caused by voltage drop as the pump manual says to use 10 gauge wire for runs 50 - 100 ft to prevent voltage drop from damaging the pump. The pool store says the will replace but will take untill tuesday. So my second question is can I still add my daily bleach without the pump running, and is it ok for the CYA to still be dissolving without any circulation?
I also need to add Borax and Baking Soda.
How bad of a situation am I in?
Thanks in advance

You are going to need to put in some extra effort to make up for the pump being out, but you should be able to get by.

Add chemicals in the early evening, after the sun is off the pool. For solid chemicals, pre-dissolve them in a bucket first. Pour slowly while walking around the pool, and right after adding brush the entire pool to mix it into the water.

The CYA won't continue dissolving, but as long as it is either in a sock or the filter it won't hurt anything either.

You are going to need to put in some extra effort to make up for the pump being out, but you should be able to get by.

Add chemicals in the early evening, after the sun is off the pool. For solid chemicals, pre-dissolve them in a bucket first. Pour slowly while walking around the pool, and right after adding brush the entire pool to mix it into the water.

The CYA won't continue dissolving, but as long as it is either in a sock or the filter it won't hurt anything either.

Thanks I got ok'd to drive to nearby city to pick a new one up, so maybe I'll be able to get it in today.

Hope somebody chimes in on the 12-2 or 10-2 for 100 ft run.

Thanks I got ok'd to drive to nearby city to pick a new one up, so maybe I'll be able to get it in today.

Hope somebody chimes in on the 12-2 or 10-2 for 100 ft run.

Based on your specs of 12A, your voltage drop should only be about 3.5%, which is a little high - especially if your panel voltage is on the lowside. I would have followed the manufacturer's recommendations on that one.

FWIW, motors operate as constant power devices, meaning if the voltage is low, the current in the windings will increase to compensate. High current results in increased heat, breakdown of dielectric, and eventual failure.

^^^^^+1 to the response from Crionics

Manufacturer gives you the answer. If you can, check voltage as is at pump. Resistance of the 12/2 is probably got you somewhere below 109v. Not a good set up for constant load.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.