First time pool build - The Woodlands, TX

May 22, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
New to the forums, but thought I'd post a thread to track my progress as we get our pool built. Went with a local PB who designed a freeform pool w/ spa that is 35'x18'. Following is a list of all the equipment listed on the contract:

Pentair Clean and Clear 420
Pentair Intelliflo 3.2VF
Pentair 320cl Chlorinator
Pentair Master Temp
Pentair Easy Touch 4
Pentair Screenlogic
2 Pentair 250w pool lights
1 Pentair 100w spa light
Maytronics M4 cleaner
Silencer 1.5hp

Any problems so far? We really had very little input into the equipment, as we knew nothing about pools, but since since I've been reading up and it seems Pentair is pretty well respected.

Our dig was yesterday, and after being told they would start around 7-8am, we got a call late the night before saying that they would actually be doing our dig second in the day. I was a bit worried when they didn't show up until 2:30, but they got everything dug before dark. The crew was pretty cool about answering some of my random questions, and even used the Bobcat to deliver dirt to my front yard and even smoothed it out for us in a section where I was trying to raise and level the yard.

Later last night we ran into our first crisis. We've added on a utility room and a bathroom to the rear of the house that connected a once detached garage to the house. Turns out the sewer line for the washer and the bathroom runs directly into the new hole in your backyard, and no one mentioned to me that they ripped out the pipe headed to the septic system. When I started looking more, I found that the pipe running from our guest house across the yard to the septic tanks got ripped up too. In the process of figuring out how to get this plumbed back in, and if it's worth it to run temporary lines. We are already having to rip out the aerobic septic system in the back yard and move it to a drip system in the front, but that crew isn't available for a week or two.

One question - What is the best image host to use for pictures? I have some to post, but haven't posted a picture in a forum in probably 5+ years.

Are you actually in the woodlands or just outside the woodlands (ie Creighton Ridge)? I ask because of the septic system...

Tapatalk works like a champ for posting pictures....

syse5ary.jpg

This was entirely filled with brush from the wooded lot next to us. It took the crew about 10 minutes with the bobcat to clear a part and take out a small section of the fence.

vudegepe.jpg

The first scoop!

bu9ynaqa.jpg

After about 2.5 hours.

y6ezy6aq.jpg

Excavation is done in about 5 hours!

qebamage.jpg

The remains of the sewer pipe. :(

6ety7abe.jpg

Steel crew showed up at 630am. This is 2 hours later.

Our pool builder is Ultimate Pools. I texted him at 630 this morning and he called me back almost immediately. I told him we had a crappy situation, so he is headed over this morning to help me figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you actually in the woodlands or just outside the woodlands (ie Creighton Ridge)? I ask because of the septic system...

Tapatalk works like a champ for posting pictures....

We are actually in Conroe, just outside of the woodlands off of 1488 and 242. It just feels a lot more like the woodlands than it does conroe here I suppose.

I was quite impressed with Tapatalk. Made my first picture post pretty easy.

Chuckle ... crappy situation... good one.

Cool - Carriage Hills area. It's nice out there. My parents live in Conroe (Creighton Ridge - just north and east of you), I grew up in spring and lived just south of the woodlands in Auburn Lakes until 4 years ago. Now down in the Garden Oaks area.

Good luck with the build - do you know what kind of startup your builder is planning to do? What kind of surface do you have planned?

You may want to consider LED lighting. It will cost a little up front but the lack of maintenance is a winner, they do cost less to operate as well however given the usual runtimes there isn't a case for ROI (though it would be nice to run the pool lights all night without guilt).

--Chris

We actually haven't talked about startup yet. When we started this process I had no idea of how pools worked, but I'm here trying to learn as much as I can before the pool is done.

As for the finish, it will be one of the matrix pebble finishes, but we haven't picked it out yet. Decking will probably be stamped concrete with a cantilever edge, but that's not for sure either. The current contract is actually flagstone coping with salted concrete deck, but we aren't huge fans of the salted concrete.

ja6y5uhe.jpg

The pro bono landscaping work in our front yard. It was in bad shape, very sunken and not level at all. This should be a big improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have opinions on lighting? Currently debating whether or not to upgrade from regular white lights to the Intellibrite 5g color LEDs. We already have all the Pentair automation stuff, so would the $1400 for the upgraded lights be worth it?

Edit - Pool builder offering the Globrite LEDs as an upgrade over the Intellibrites. I was under the impression that Intellibrite was the top of the line. Am I wrong?

Glowbrites are smaller with less output.

I would go intellibrite. I think the globrite is designed for shelves and shallow locations.

That's what I thought. He was offering 2 intellibrites in the pool and 1 in the spa for $1425, or 3 and 1 for globrites for $1650. I just got off the phone with him, and told him I wanted the Intellibrites. I hope it turns out looking like all the pictures I've seen. They seem like a really neat thing to play with.

When you get ready to look at chlorination Napco on 2920 sells CL in bulk in a 15 gal carboy. That and a stenner pump will make life very very easy (don't confuse your pool builder with this). Make sure there is an extra 110v outlet at your pool pad to plug the stenner into later.

If you have time take a good read on pool school (big link upper right ).

- - - Updated - - -

... and order your TF-100 test kit now... with the XL option to get you through the start up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's a stenner pump? I'm really hoping you going to tell me that it's a way that I can automate the liquid bleach.

Give that man a prize. It is. Its a hike but if you want to take a look a a setup let me know - you are more than welcome to swing by (Shepherd / 43rd area). More than happy to walk you through all of the ins and outs.

Pictures shortly.

It is, I have the high capacity stenner and run it on a timer independent of the motor. Total time varies through the year from 15 min run time in the winter to between 1 and 2 hours during the summer depending on water temp and where my CYA is. Mine fluctuates more than most because I am dealing with a calcium scale issue from the former owners. I harvest rain water (off the roof from the downspouts) to try to keep the CH low and pull the scale back into solution. Net result of that is I keep a close eye on my CYA as it actually tends to get a bit low due to rainwater dilution.

Lookin Good Eric!
good choice on the LED's over incandescent. Not only to the bulbs last tons longer and the light bill is lower.... but LED's dont attract nearrr as many bugs that swarm around it at night !!!

You just made my day with that. I hadn't heard that before. With the wooded lot next door, we seem to get more than our share of bugs around here as it is. I've actually been meaning to look into backyard mosquito control stuff to figure out what the best way to keep the back yard clear for the kids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.