Return to the Black Lagoon

Jun 20, 2008
:twisted: :rant: I have a really bad problem. I have been trying to clear up a cloudy pool. I was told to shock it with 3 gallons of bleach and then run pump for 24 hours I did that and nothing worked. I have the pool on a timer for 6 hours a day while we were away on vacation for 5 days. We come home and my pool is BLACK! The bottom is black like mud. I dont know what to do. I have tested the water and nothing is right....about to give up, drain it and start all over.....any one have any suggestions before I go to plan b?

Misty :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

It is almost always easier to clean up any problem than it is to drain and refill, unless the pool is very small.

If you post your water test results and tell us what happens when you try to brush the bottom we can tell you how to get started on cleaning up the mess.

I havent tested it because I dont know where to start. I have a tester and as soon as i get home this evening I will test and post the results.

As for vacuuming it when I get my vacuum out and start to vacuum up it all comes to the top.

sweetjrgal008 said:
I havent tested it because I dont know where to start. I have a tester and as soon as i get home this evening I will test and post the results.

As for vacuuming it when I get my vacuum out and start to vacuum up it all comes to the top.

"all comes up to the top" could mean you are moving too fast, stirring it up, or you don't have proper suction on the vacume head. Are you sure the vacume hose is primed (free of all air, only containing water)?

sweetjrgal008 said:

You are probably getting more than you think up in the vacuum. And let's say all you are doing is stirring the water - at the very least, you are circulating the dirt for the skimmer to catch some of it. I was fortunate enough, with the help of these fine people to turn my black water to crystal blue. It is A LOT of work. But nothing strenuous. You can do this.

Throwing bleach in a pool without knowing it's chemical levels is inefficient. You are better off leaving it so that so you know where you started. Then you can put a correct amount of bleach in the pool. otherwise, you are wasting it.

Get a test kit - get some readings. The first thing you should worry about is the chlorine levels. Then check your PH. As long as the PH stays within recommended range, concentrate solely on the chlorine. Stay on it. Check at night and morning - add bleach as needed. Vacuum every night and brush the walls every night. Dedicate yourself for about a week - and I think you will find yourself swimming.

It may help initially to use a leaf rake to get some of the sludge out of the bottom. Not only does the help, it gives you a great feeling of accomplishment once your see the pile of yuck that you got out:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.