Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!

HacoboPablo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, CA
I just installed my Hayward SP1091LX Skimmer and took pics along the way. Hope this will help you guys out, since most of the threads on this are missing the pics!

So just a few things first, I have the bigger 2650 gph pump so my intake and return hoses have been upgraded to the larger ones that came with it, your setup may be different. Here is how I cut in the new hoses and intake and returns.

Also I drained the water down for this installation. (I had high salt levels and needed to backwash my sand filter anyway so it just made sense to drain the pool down for me)

Ok so first I grabbed some teflon tape and wrapped the threads on the smaller piece where the existing intake hose will attach onto when we are done. I wrapped it around each set of threads twice and worked my way down the fitting. Hand tighten all the way in when your done!

Now onto the butterfly gasket. Get a sharp razor blade or x-acto knife. I pushed the gasket apart on a flat cardboard box and cut from the inside out. I did this because when the two sides of the gasket are flattened like this it creates a nice center groove for your blade to cut right in the middle!

Don’t rush! I cut from one corner to a little past the middle, the turned it around and finished each side, that way I didn’t slip. And voila! two gaskets!

Like I said earlier I drained my pool down to do the install. I chose an area in the center of two uprights and wiped the inside and outside of the area clean.

Next I took the hard plastic square piece that will go on the inside of the pool and a black marker and marked exactly where I wanted the holes. I made sure the top holes were below the grey seam. Then I took a small screwdriver and carefully popped holes where my marks were.

Next I put on one side of the gasket with one screw onto the plastic piece.

I pushed the top two screws in with a phillips screwdriver so the holes would stay tight around the screws.

I put all the screws in with the screwdriver to get the holes enlarged. and test fitted the outer gasket.

Next I backed all of the screws out except the top two outside ones. Since I was by myself I grabbed my little drill to “start” the top two screws into the skimmer. It was easier than trying to hand twist a screwdriver and hold everything in place at the same time.

Once I got the skimmer to hang in place I checked the gasket on both sides to make sure it was even and lined up. Then start screwing the other screws in by hand. I tightened the center ones on each side and then the edges. Tighten the screws a little at a time, you’ll start to feel the screw get a lot harder to tighten.

The gasket should be snug and not lift when you move the skimmer around a little. Check the gaskets all the way around.

Now the moment of truth, your about to remove a huge chunk of your pool liner! Don’t worry it’s easy, just slowly cut along the inside of the plastic, with out cutting the gasket material.

Next lock your intake shutoff valve and remove the hose, (you’ll get a little water spillage, just keep the hose upright), put a hose clamp over the hose end first, then slide the hose onto the bottom of the skimmer and tighten the hose clamp just below the lip on the hose.

Slide the door in place, drop the filter basket inside and put the top round cover on!

Slowly fill your pool back up if you drained it and check for leaks from the gaskets or where the hose attaches.

Now enjoy how great the surface of your water will look!

I just bought an intex pool and I came across this thread so I might as well install this as part of my set up. Will the filter pump that came with the pool be strong enough to make the skimmer effective? It is the Intex Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump

Reactions: DrastiK
Thanks guys, glad it's helping to "see" the steps before you try it!

@norwei - I don't see why it wouldn't work, your just pulling water from surface instead of your old intake lower in the water. But you may want to start a thread asking those who have a similar setup if it works. To me the little intex cartridge filter/pumps that come with the pool are undersized. I'm really happy with my upgraded sand filter 2650 gph pump!

Thank you HacoboPablo, this is great! I just bought both the Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump & Intex 54601EG SWG for my 16'x42" Ultra Frame and I'm also considering the Hayward SP1091LX thru-the-wall Skimmer...so this thread is PERFECT! I've been reading a lot about the Hayward Skimmer and it seems most have hard plumbing. I noticed in your pics that you don't...how did you attach the hose to the skimmer? Were there any special parts you needed to use the Intex hose to the Hayward unit? Based on many other threads it seems a lot of people have trouble with that connection. Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you again!

@erinb319 thanks! Yeah, I haven't hard piped yet, that's coming. I cut in the bigger intake and returns that came with the sand filter/pump. The larger hose fits right over the PVC piece that comes off the bottom of the skimmer, so I just hose clamped it as you can see in the pics. Look forward to seeing pics of yours completed!

Hi HacoboPablo, quick question.

I did this yesterday and I was wondering about the hose clamp. Is that actually serving a purpose? It is over hard, solid plastic so the hose beneath is not being constricted. The hose itself actually fits very tightly over the bottom of the skimmer, I had to move it back and forth to get it to go up, but now it is seated very tightly. I was just wondering if I was missing something about the hose clamp.
Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for sharing! This is a timely thread for me as I am planning to install mine this week. Quick question on the gasket. Is there an advantage to splitting the butterfly gasket vs leaving it intact? I know its probably less work since you would have to remove the skimmer after cutting the liner to put the gasket on and then re-install it. Thanks again!

jdsaviator, the best way to install it is by placing the faceplate on the inside of the pool, poke the necessary holes and attach it with screws, exactly where you want it..... Cut the liner using the faceplate as your guide... Remove the faceplate and THEN install the butterfly gasket into the hole you've just cut... That way you don't have to slice the gasket in two... Put the face plate back on, and assemble the skimmer... Voila!!!! :)

Hi All! Soooo...I set up the new filter/pump and SWG system on Saturday. For the 1st hour I thought my life was forever changed based on how clean the pool was becoming (and so quickly!)! Although, as I've had it running, it appears the suction on the intake is much less than it was originally and at one point the SWG said I had low filter pressure. There is still a lot of debris in the water (a lot of pollen!) that I thought would have been cleared by now. I just checked and the low filter pressure light is off. Any ideas or suggestions about what could be going on? I'm reading through all of the troubleshooting guides and I'm a little overwhelmed. I do not have a skimmer on the pool, just the intake plate (don't know the real term for that piece)...could this be the issue? The output is ok, although not as strong as it was initially either. The water looks pretty clear (not green/clouded). I also invested time, money, and my back on landscaping this weekend too (pics to follow)...so I really want to get this cleared up (pun intended!) ;)

Just a little background on this pool. I had bought the same pool in the summer of '12 and that model had a skimmer. I didn't bury the pavers well enough for the posts and ended up with a hole in the liner. I purchased another one (same size/ultra frame) in '13 and it didn't have a skimmer, it has the piece I mentioned above. I don't think it's at all adequate to filter larger debris because the holes are about the size of a spaghetti strainer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Intex Ultra Frame 16x42
Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump
Intex 54601EG SWG

Is the pump fully primed? Release the air pressure valve on the basket until water comes out and the run the pump. If that doesnt work then ckeck all fittings for air leaks and reprime.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Hi All! Soooo...I set up the new filter/pump and SWG system on Saturday. For the 1st hour I thought my life was forever changed based on how clean the pool was becoming (and so quickly!)! Although, as I've had it running, it appears the suction on the intake is much less than it was originally and at one point the SWG said I had low filter pressure. There is still a lot of debris in the water (a lot of pollen!) that I thought would have been cleared by now. I just checked and the low filter pressure light is off. Any ideas or suggestions about what could be going on? I'm reading through all of the troubleshooting guides and I'm a little overwhelmed. I do not have a skimmer on the pool, just the intake plate (don't know the real term for that piece)...could this be the issue? The output is ok, although not as strong as it was initially either. The water looks pretty clear (not green/clouded). I also invested time, money, and my back on landscaping this weekend too (pics to follow)...so I really want to get this cleared up (pun intended!) ;)

Just a little background on this pool. I had bought the same pool in the summer of '12 and that model had a skimmer. I didn't bury the pavers well enough for the posts and ended up with a hole in the liner. I purchased another one (same size/ultra frame) in '13 and it didn't have a skimmer, it has the piece I mentioned above. I don't think it's at all adequate to filter larger debris because the holes are about the size of a spaghetti strainer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Intex Ultra Frame 16x42
Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump
Intex 54601EG SWG

Not sure this doesn't warrant a thread of its own, but I'll attempt to answer. If I may make a couple assumptions that 1) you have the same Intex valves the OP here and I have, and 2) you're using the grayish Intex outlet to your pump that is rather large and looks a bit "bashed in" right in the center. That is what came with my Ultra Frame. If that is the case, and you're drawing 2650 g.p.h., you might be getting air from that suction safety device on the valve. It's the small, upright gray nipple-like device on the Intex valve you can clearly see in one of the closeups higher up in this thread. Your Intex kit should have come with two small, clear rubber caps that go over this device and prevent air from entering when you're trying to draw more water through the valve than what it thinks you should be. (The valve pictured here doesn't show the rubber cap.) Hopefully you didn't toss those like I almost did ;-) Although I have a TTW skimmer, I use this pump inlet for vacuuming, having cut away the outer concave strainer and using an old blue Intex strainer that fits on the threads. If you don't have those rubber caps (only really need one) you might have to do what a lot have done and convert to hard PVC plumbing with valves that don't have this safety device.

Hope that helps. I could post pics later if necessary.

Do not use teflon tape on pvc threaded connectors, they will leak or break, use a proper pvc sealant, not teflon pipe dope and especially not teflon tape. http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

I used tape on mine. Just very sparingly. Tapered pipe threads (NPT) actually do the sealing themselves. Teflon tape, pipe dope etc only reduce friction to aid in the seating of the threads. I have been told to used petroleum jelly to lubricate PVC threads to PVC threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.