Few installation questions

eoz3106

Bronze Supporter
May 1, 2008
I'm installing the aqua-rite this weekend and want to be sure I put it in the right place. (I can't figure out how to paste jpgs, so here is a link to my google album).

http://picasaweb.google.com/eoz3106/Pool

As you can see I have an in-line feeder that I've never used. (A previous owner installed it.) To the right of that is something I'm not familiar with, it says "Purex Pool Equipment" and "Ortega". I can't find anything via Google on it.

So here are my questions:

1. There is a place coming out of the heater before the valve were the aqua-rite will fit, but is that proper and the best place?
2. If so, should I remove the in-live feeder at the same time?
3. What's the Purex do?

Of course any other feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The Purex is an ortega valve, an older kind of three way valve.

The pipe that runs along the heater is about the only place it might fit. That isn't an ideal location but it looks workable.

I would leave the inline feeder alone. There isn't enough space there and no reason to redo that plumbing.

eoz,

The easiest and the best place IMO would be exactly where you said right after the heater, if you take out your in line feeder it looks like you will have a lot of extra plumbing to do, all of your conectors "T" "90's" will have minimal PVC left to add onto that includes your valve, you would most likely have to do a "major" job there. If it was my install, I would leave the in line feeder, and put your SWG where you said, after the heater and before the valve, not sure what that valve controls.

Rob

Looks like from the three way valve diverting the water between the pool and spa, the other lines on the pool side (in order from left to right) are for a water feature (valve with reduced size pipe going straight down), In-line feeder, tee going up to the Ortega valve (which appears to be a just a two way valve going to "something"), the 90 degree fitting going down, another line going to your booster pump, and down into the ground and back to the pool return.

You'll need to tell us what the Ortega valve is controlling water flow to.

If you place the cell where you're recommending, you're also going to have to watch your chlorine level when you isolate your spa for use. If you don't reduce the output of the unit, you have a huge potential to over chlorinate your spa.
OR, place the flow switch only in the pool return side, after the cell. This will then only activate the cell when there's sufficient flow in the pool return line.
NOW the question would be where to place the 2" tee and flow switch!

Great time to remove the In-line feeder and put the flow switch there.

Just my two cents.

The ortega valve looks like one of their check valves. Is it plumbed BEFORE the chlorinator? That's the usual place for a check valve to keep superchlorinated water from backing up into the other equipment.

Whatever the Ortega valve is actually doing, it is on the pool side of the plumbing after the chlorinator. Looking more closely, it does look like it could be an Ortega check valve, but since we can't see the back it is difficult to be sure.

I uploaded a new picture to the same link as in the first posting. I can't figure out what the check valve does as it is connected to an unknown pipe from teh ground The only equipment after it is the polaris pump. So the order of equipemnt would be:

heater return, valve for spa/pool, water feature, inline choline/bromine feeder (not used), ortega valve, and connection to polaris.

It sounds like it's not worth the effort to redo the plumbing; rather, just put in the swg before the valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.