Intex Ultra Frame - Should I Upgrade the Standard 1200GPH Pump to a Larger One

May 17, 2014
Sebastian, FL
Welcome to TFP!:wave: I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hello - First time posting here and first time pool owners. We are awaiting the arrival of our 9'x18'x52" Intex Ultra Frame pool. I have already purchased the salt water system, but in reading some threads regarding the sand pump, I am wondering if we should upgrade from the 1200GPH that comes with the pool to a larger sand pump. Any recommendations? Or should we see how the included pump handles the pool? We are also going to begin the leveling process by framing out 13'x22' tarping over the existing ground then adding sand then tarp over sand for pool base. Any recommendations on sand type? Can regular sand be used if we tamp it down, or should another sand be used? Also - we live in FL and pool will be up year-round - any helpful comments on additional maintenance?

Sorry for all the questions - just want to have all the proper information before we start the project! Any deck ideas and pictures would be helpful too! :-D

Welcome to TFP.

The included pump will get you no where fast! If you're going to upgrade, do so. I'm not very knowledgeable on the Intex pumps but I do believe they offer a 2650 sand filter. It is a lot better than the cart filter they provide.

As far as leveling the pool and building a frame, you can do that. You should not use sand as a base because it does not hold the weight of the pool very well. A lot of people have been using foam insulation boards.

I would also like to recommend that if you are going to be serious about your pool, you should invest in a reliable test kit which you can find here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

Also:
:lookhere: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
:lookhere: How to Chlorinate Your Pool
:lookhere: Chlorine CYA Chart
:lookhere: PoolMath

You can find these links and more in :lookhere: Pool School.

I agree with Casey that "The included pump will get you no where fast!" we have had good luck with upgrading the Intex pump and filter systems to the Reliance BC2213 pump and filter system, this is a 1/4 HP pump with a 12" sand filter and runs about $140. This will be a much larger pump and filter then the 1200 GPH pump which comes with the pool. If you do a search on google for "Reliance BC2213 Filter System" then you will find retailers supplying this item.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.