Pool Water Turned Yellowish Green While Filling - Used Metal Free

May 22, 2014
Michigan
Hello,

I hope someone can offer some advise. As we were filling our 22' round Intex Ultra pool with well water, the crystal clear water started to become yellowish/green after a few hours - this is while filling the pool and NO chemicals added. Our local pool supplier suggested that it must be metals in the well water causing the discoloration and told us to use a product called Metal Free. Its been 12 hrs since I added the chemical and the sand filter has been running the entire time. So far the water has NOT changed in color at all. She said that this product (Metal Free) should clear up the water within a day or so. Anyone use this stuff before? If so, how long did it take to work. I am planning on running the pump all night in the hopes this helps but thought by now there might be a slight improvement.

We did test the water and the only thing that came up was no chlorine (which of course because we have not added the salt yet - was advised not to until the green is gone), and we also had high alkalinity which the lady at the pool store said was probably from the metals and may resolve itself once the metal situation is taken care of.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! :wave:

What you're describing is pretty common. When you add bleach, it could very likely turn bright green.

Here's a recent thread that might help ease your mind some.

Thanks for the link! You mention that it might turn bright green when I add bleach. Are you referring to when I start adding the salt to the pool? The pool place told me to add nothing now and just wait. If this clears up, do you think I may have further issues?

Thanks!

We generally advise starting the pool and getting it balanced as a bleach pool, then adding the salt, and then turning on the salt water generator 24 hours later. If there's any problems during the startup phase, that's one less variable to deal with. Plus, you'll have safe clear water to hold Diamond Day. Post 5

Metal Free is not one of the sequestrants we recommend using.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Welcome to TFP. Please stay away from the pool store and start asking questions here so we can provide you with accurate advice. We will not take your money and you can rest assure that we will not have you add something to your pool that it doesn't need. :)

I don't know if you have looked at Pool School yet but there is a link about Metals in the Water and Metal Stains that you should probably read. :) Also, we highly recommend that you invest in your own reliable test kit to keep you out of the pool store. Their testing isn't all that reliable anyway. You can read about the Test Kit Comparison and chose one. We recommend the TF100 XL as it offers more reagents than the K2006. :goodjob:

You can find a lot of helpful links in Pool School. Again, welcome to TFP. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.