Intex Above Ground? Tell me about it!

austinsmom01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Georgia
Do you have an Intex AG pool? What size pool/pump/filter are you using? What are your run times? Anything you'd like to share about it? Good, Bad or Ugly?? Any tips you've discovered along the way? :mrgreen:

I have one as well and this is my second year. Love it and it's the perfect size for my son and our yard. I'm waiting for my new skimmer and new Hayward 14" sand filter to arrive so I can attach it to my Intex 1,500 gph pump/filter combo. Through recommendations on this site, I've been told the pump size is adequate but there have been many problems with the intex filters. Doesn't seem to want to clean as well as it should. Water is cloudy and running the pump 24/7 isn't helping. I throw a leaf net over it when not in use to keep as many leaves out as possible.

Tell me about yours!

Hi :wave:

I have an 18'x48" SandNSun from Wally World. It orginally came with an 800GPH pump/filter, but I upgraded to the 1500GPH. It was the only one available locally and I needed one right away cuz the other one bit the dust :angel: I also have an over the wall skimmer.

I agree about the filter/pumps being inadequate. They seem to work ok at maintaining a balanced pool, but not to clean up a problem. Since I've cleared the water, I usually run the pump for 12 to 14 hrs. If the water starts getting cloudy, I bump up the chlorine and run it longer.

I use the whirlpool method a lot, and vacuum up all the debris that lands in the middle (I'd insert a smilie with a hoover if we had one) :lol:

We live in the country with an almost constant breeze, surrounded by pastures and fields, so I keep the cover on at night. It helps keep out the bugs and blown in debris, also helps keep in the heat.

TxSkye said:
Hi :wave:

I have an 18'x48" SandNSun from Wally World. It orginally came with an 800GPH pump/filter, but I upgraded to the 1500GPH. It was the only one available locally and I needed one right away cuz the other one bit the dust :angel: I also have an over the wall skimmer.

I agree about the filter/pumps being inadequate. They seem to work ok at maintaining a balanced pool, but not to clean up a problem. Since I've cleared the water, I usually run the pump for 12 to 14 hrs. If the water starts getting cloudy, I bump up the chlorine and run it longer.

I use the whirlpool method a lot, and vacuum up all the debris that lands in the middle (I'd insert a smilie with a hoover if we had one) :lol:

We live in the country with an almost constant breeze, surrounded by pastures and fields, so I keep the cover on at night. It helps keep out the bugs and blown in debris, also helps keep in the heat.

:wave: Got mine at Wally World too and my 800 gph pump that came with it bit the dust as well so I went for the 1,500 gph! HMMMMM! :scratch: I have a skimmer on order. Does it work well?? I have lots of trees and leaves get in no matter how hard I try to keep the net on. What type of vac do you use?

Thanks for posting! I know there are lots of Intex AG pool owners on this site and feel this will be useful for us all! :goodjob:

The skimmer actually works quite well, surprised me.. :shock:
If you use the short flex hose that comes with it, then it sits basically right above the intake line to the pump. The way my pool sits in relation to the wind though, most of the debris is blown away from the skimmer, so I use a longer hose and put it on the far side of the pool. I also use a nylon sock over the basket to help catch all the pollen and small stuff. I ordered a "Pooldevil" last week, it arrived as I was typing this :lol: . It works on the return line similar to the "Pool Skim" creating a vortex. Unlike the Pool Skim, it is supposed to work on portable pools too. It comes with 3 different adaptors so hopefully I should have one that works for my setup. I'll let you know how that works after I get it set up and running. :wink:

I use the vac that came with my delux cleaning kit. Triangular head with removable brushes. That works pretty good. I usually vacuum while in the pool, run the vacuum all over the bottom, then remove the vac head and use the hose along all the seams where the side wall meets the bottom. The sand and dirt love to hang out there.

We bought the pool on sale, I believe we paid $160 for it. Best buy I've gotten in a long time :goodjob:

This is my second season with a Quick Up pool. It came with a very inadequate filter pump and because I didnt know any better, I purchase a battery operated pool vac to suck up all the dead algie on the pool floor. Works fine but take 5 big batteries each time - worked out expensive. This season I bought a new sandfilter and heat exchange pump - brilliant. The weather here is not so good but the pool has been wonderfully warm most days.

Now I have enough suction, I managed to fix up a hose and vac head to the pool and have not looked back.

Discovered a strange smell round the pool last week and realised it was from dead water and muck that had accumulated on the underside of the floatation ring (on the outside). Scrubbed down with washingup liquid and some lemon juice and its fine now.

Having said that - it has rained for the last 4 days and I miss my swim :(

It is nice to see other Intex users. I get so envious of all the nice inground pools on this site. :-D We got our 16' X 48" at Sam's for $285 which was a deal. Wally World had 15'X42" for $300. Anyway, it came with the skimmer which works fairly well. One thing I have discovered is I have to pull the basket out while the pump is still running. Otherwise the debris floats out of the skimmer and back into the pool. I need to try the nylon thing and see if I can catch those itty bitty bugs. We don't cover it usually, and I pay the price. Especially with all the rain and storms we've had. However, using the BBB method my water has remained balanced and crystal clear. :goodjob: We do run our pump 24/7 pretty much, though. The cheap vacuum that came with it doesn't work so well. It gets the really small stuff, but you can still see debris floating in the water after I'm done. It's frustrating. We figured next year we might upgrade to a better vacuum. The trick is finding one that fits our pump. I'll be interested to see how the "pooldevil" works. Where did you get it? Otherwise it's a great pool for cooling off and it's even big enough we get some exercise. My kids are 9 and 11 and I work for the schools, so we are home all summer. With gas prices so high it has been the perfect investment for our family. I may even convince the hubby to get a more permenant AG in a few years. :whip: We'll see! Sorry for the rambling. I get excited about my pool. hehe

Edit -- I have a question about the cover. We just put our cover on for the first time last night and it seems like a hassle. Especially when we pull it off to store it. What do you guys do that use yours regularly? We are thinking it should be completely dry before we fold it up? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hi
I have an Intex 16'x48" I bought on a whim at Sam's Club. It came with a 1,000 gph per hr pump and filter. I've ordered a larger size, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait to see if it will do a better job than this one. I seem to be having a problem with dust settling on the bottom of the pool.

My only regret is that I didn't do a little more research first. I didn't realize that weeds/grass could grow through the liner! Grass has sprouted up in a few places, so unfortunately, I don't think my little pool will make it past one season.

I intend to get another liner next year, if I can better prepare the area first. All in all, I would have to say that I've enjoyed it. I only wish I could get a larger one!

Just curious, did you get rid of all the grass under your pool, or did you have a flat enough area where you didn't have to? I've heard of this happening to others. We have that horrible crab grass that grows through anything around here and I'm paranoid it's going to go through our pool too. I'm sorry that has happened to you, though! Let us know how the bigger pump works!

WaterLover said:
Hi
I have an Intex 16'x48" I bought on a whim at Sam's Club. It came with a 1,000 gph per hr pump and filter. I've ordered a larger size, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait to see if it will do a better job than this one. I seem to be having a problem with dust settling on the bottom of the pool.

My only regret is that I didn't do a little more research first. I didn't realize that weeds/grass could grow through the liner! Grass has sprouted up in a few places, so unfortunately, I don't think my little pool will make it past one season.

I intend to get another liner next year, if I can better prepare the area first. All in all, I would have to say that I've enjoyed it. I only wish I could get a larger one!

We have an Intex 48" by 16' we bought to exercise our old and middle-age Labradors. I've upgraded the pump to the Intex 2500 GPH model from the original 800 GPH version that came with the pool. The bigger one does a much better job with the dog hair and there's not too much dirt on the bottom to vaccuum up. I've been pleased with the toughness of the liner. There have been many dogs in the pool and not a single problem with the liner.

The pool is two years old and this year we'll be BBB the whole season.

Tom

tschaefges said:
We have an Intex 48" by 16' we bought to exercise our old and middle-age Labradors. I've upgraded the pump to the Intex 2500 GPH model from the original 800 GPH version that came with the pool. The bigger one does a much better job with the dog hair and there's not too much dirt on the bottom to vaccuum up. I've been pleased with the toughness of the liner. There have been many dogs in the pool and not a single problem with the liner.

Tom
I love your Avatar! I also have a Lab and believe it or not......HE HATES WATER! WHAT? He doesn't mind a bath (just stands there) but we've tried taking him to the lagoon and he refuses to get in and swim. But, he is the best dog we've EVER had! I can't believe they sell those size pools with the small 800 gph pump. Mine came with the same one and I got a 1500 which works well for now but the filter cartridge kinda stinks! Still waiting for my sand filters arrival :sleep:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have an Intex Easyset Pool too, and this is our 7th summer with it! :shock: We probably have one of the longest lasting Easyset's around. :lol: Half-way through the first summer the Intex pump died and we found a 1HP pump and 100# sand filter at a garage sale for $35.00. Buying a bigger filter is the BEST investment you can make for an Intex pool.

We've never had any problems with anything growing or puncturing our pool(not even our Newfoundland's claws).I think a lot of the problems with holes in the new ones is the thinner material they use now. 3-4 years ago Intex started using thinner liner(or fewer layers). You can tell if your liner is the older thicker type or the newer kind because the color is different. The new pools are a lighter blue and the older ones are darker. Also, I've noticed that the newer Easyset pool's sidewalls bulge out a lot more then ours. They are also more sensitive in regards to how level you get them.

We've never prepared our ground or used any other liner or tarp under the pool. Just put it on the grass the first year and it killed it all. At the end of every summer, there are a bunch of weeds(live) growing underneath, but none of them have ever come though. :-D

Also, for anyone with an Intex Easyset, if you want a deep end, it is possible. Every year we've had the pool, our "deep end" has gotten bigger. The first year it was flat, the next a few inches deep and about 3 feet round. Last year I got serious about it. The hole was 10" deep and 6 feet round, sloping in. This summer, the hole is still 10" deep, but it is 12 feet round. I want to go deeper, but there is gravel in the area where our pool is at 10" down(railroad tracks ran through there 60 years ago). Warning, this will cause you to have many wrinkles in the bottom.
Here's a pic taken when I was digging it. All done by me alone(15 y.o.) with a shovel. :hammer:
DCP_1736.jpg

I have a question for everyone with a metal frame Intex... Can you push off the sides hard? We've been thinking of getting a bigger, deeper metal frame version, but 2 things are holding us back. One is I don't know what will happen if you push off the soft sides hard(between the poles, or on them). The other thing is I don't know if we will still be able to have a deep end.

Adam

TxSkye said:
I ordered a "Pooldevil" last week, it arrived as I was typing this :lol: . It works on the return line similar to the "Pool Skim" creating a vortex. Unlike the Pool Skim, it is supposed to work on portable pools too. It comes with 3 different adaptors so hopefully I should have one that works for my setup. I'll let you know how that works after I get it set up and running. :wink:

How is the pooldevil working out for ya?

launboy said:
Also, for anyone with an Intex Easyset, if you want a deep end, it is possible. Every year we've had the pool, our "deep end" has gotten bigger. The first year it was flat, the next a few inches deep and about 3 feet round. Last year I got serious about it. The hole was 10" deep and 6 feet round, sloping in. This summer, the hole is still 10" deep, but it is 12 feet round. I want to go deeper, but there is gravel in the area where our pool is at 10" down(railroad tracks ran through there 60 years ago). Warning, this will cause you to have many wrinkles in the bottom.
Hi Adam,
Do you have an after pic of your pool? How do you keep your pool from leaning to one side?? The ground under mine is slightly off level and the pool kinda leans but nothing I'm too concerned about. Just wondered about yours with the "deep end". Send pics!!!
Ps. do you take yours down every year???

tschaefges said:

Tom

Hey kudos on getting a pool for your dogs! :goodjob: I think that's great, and your av is too cool. I'm a dog lover myself, have a pitbull and a beagle! :-D

brandynva said:
Just curious, did you get rid of all the grass under your pool, or did you have a flat enough area where you didn't have to? I've heard of this happening to others. We have that horrible crab grass that grows through anything around here and I'm paranoid it's going to go through our pool too. I'm sorry that has happened to you, though! Let us know how the bigger pump works!

Hi Brandy

When we set the pool up it appeared to be on level ground. We now realize it is off by about an inch or so. So far though, no problems. Our backyard isn't landscaped, so we just put the ground cloth down then put the pool on top of that. After about a month I noticed one weed, then another, oh no! So I did some research and found that I should have sprayed weed/grass killer then put down a heavier ground cover/tarp. :hammer: Oh well, live and learn! I'll be better prepared next year. Also, I have the 2500 gph filter pump on order, I'll see how that works with keeping the dirt off the bottom. I'll be sure to post how that works out.

I saw the Pooldevil advertised on tv, did a :google: search and found 1 on Amazon. I got the Pooldevil and 4 replacement socks for less than $15 :goodjob:

So far its doing its job, although even with 3 adapters included, none of them fit my setup, so I had to adjust and make my own adapter. I like that with this one, you can leave it in the pool and running even while you swim. With the over the wall skimmer, you can't, plus, it sometimes shifted postion with all the wind I have here, so I had to keep on eye on it.

Pooldevil at work.

pooldevil.jpg

Last year, I just laid down the ground cloth over the grass and put the pool up. For this year, I wanted the pool in a different spot, so we got a load of sand, spread it out and made about a 4" high dam at the perimeter. I figured I could wet it down to pack it before we set the pool up. Just as I was finishing leveling it, we had a horrendous downfall, so I didn't have to waste the water :wink:

Adam -- Pushing off hard kinda makes me nervous. It SEEMS sturdy enough. After about a week the liner stretches out and gets real tight against the poles and supporting rope. We haven't had any problems yet. My kids can be kinda rough. The whole thing kinda rocks with the waves from their rough housing. ha ha But so far we are pleased other than the debris. When we change the filter it is always full of gross stuff though, so it's doing it's job. I think next year I will look into upgrading the pump. Then maybe I can find a vacuum that fits. Great thread, btw! :goodjob:

austinsmom01 said:
Hi Adam,
Do you have an after pic of your pool? How do you keep your pool from leaning to one side?? The ground under mine is slightly off level and the pool kinda leans but nothing I'm too concerned about. Just wondered about yours with the "deep end". Send pics!!!
Ps. do you take yours down every year???

Yes, we take it down every fall, dry it out, roll it up, and until last winter, put it back in the origonal box... We dont' have any mice in our garage(knock on wood).

I had a few pics, but went and snapped a few better ones today...

The left side of the pool is probably almost 3 inches lower then the right side.
Notice the left side wall is nearly flat, while the right bulges out.
The difference in bulgedness is most noticable looking at the pool where I snapped the pic.
The ducttape is not because of a hole... Nope, after 7 years, sun and chemicals have taken their tole on the plug to inflate the ring and the little bit the sticks in and hold the air no longer stays in by itself.
DCP_1746.jpg

The pile of dirt I made when I dug the hole(notice the rocks from old railrod tracks).
DCP_1747.jpg

Picture taken from the low side... Notice how the liner creases under the ring on this side, but the water is high on the other side of the ring(we've had a lot of rain, and if we get any more, I might have to let some water out...).
DCP_1748.jpg

Rake handle in the deep area of the pool...
DCP_1749.jpg

Rake handle in the shallow area that is about 3 feet wide all the way around the pool.
You can see where the water was when it was in the deep area.
DCP_1751.jpg

Showing the slope from shallow to deep. It's hard to see so I tried to outline it in Paint...(Ignore the leaves, it's rained the past two days and I haven't vacuumed yet)
DCP_1753.jpg

Here's a different pic showing the slope... If you look, you can kind of see it. The water looks a little darker in the deeper part.
DCP_1754.jpg

Also, in my pictures, you can see the wrinkles... If you dig down in the middle at all, you will get these because the liner does not stretch. Also remember, for every inch deep you dig, the overall diameter of the pool will decrease, at least, at the bottom where the wall meets the floor... I think, although I haven't measured it.

Hope this helps...
Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.