Clearing up green pool

Welcome to TFP.

How are you testing to get that CYA.

If CYA is truly 90 you will have an easier time clearing the pool if you reduce that CYA. If you can replace water, I'd go that route and reduce CYA before SLAMMING pool. With cya at 90 you will need to keep a very high chlorine level.

Edit
I just saw that you said "above 90". You need to know for sure in order to slam what your cya is. So I ask again how are you testing?

Welcome, Anna! :wave:

Two questions: 1) Did the water have an hour of filter time to mix before you tested it?
2) What test kit are you using?

If CYA really is 90, Aimee's right. You'd probably be happier in the long run doing another partial drain to get CYA down some more. At 90 CYA, you'll be buying huge quantities of bleach just to get it up to SLAm level, let alone replenishing it, and afterwards, you'll need to maintain such high FC that your pH test will always be a little iffy.

Hi Anna! Welcome to TFP!!!

You will have an easier time SLAM'ing with the CYA down around 30-50ppm. :goodjob:

Most common is puck usage. Do you have an inline chlorinator that takes pucks?

That'll do it! Each puck adds chlorine *and* stabilizer. Chlorine goes away, requiring more pucks. Problem is....CYA does not go away so it just keeps building up with each tablet and each packet of powdered shock (trichlor) Eventually you have sky high CYA and the only way to lower it is to drain some and replace water. :-(

Yup we used that a lot last year..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Well there ya go. Continue to read pool school so you can understand how the chemicals work and what it adds to the water. Also, please update your signature so we can see what kind of pool and equipment you have without asking each time you post. Also add your location to your profile. It is one of the first bits of information we use and take into account when we answer your questions.

So I turned off the pump once the pool got clear but still very cloudy to help settle the dirt. We scooped up a bunch of debris and now the pool looks kinda green again. Retested and here's what I got. CYA 75, FC 20, PH 7.4, TA 150. Is the green tinge from stirring debris up? Should I slam again?

Vinyl IG 20,000 GAL , Hayward sand filter, located in Oklahoma City, OK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.