Feb 9, 2014
Australia
My pool is 2 months old, the water was cloudy for a while but pretty clear now. SWG is running a lot and we have a strong smell of 'chlorine'? In Melbourne its getting cold and probably wont use the pool for another 3 months now. But i am going to use this time to practise managing the water so its awesome when the good weather coms and i have mastered the testing and maintenance.

No stabiliser in the pool yet, the pool installer told me to wait to summer and chuck 2kg in at the start and leave it.

Considering the idea of not adding you dont absolutely need...do i need to put stabiliser in yet? Could i press on with out it until the the warmer weather, or is it important to have everything in balance all of the time?

I think my pool is about 45000lt inground fibreglass.

I am trying to track down th test kits recommended on this forum, in the meantime i have this 4 in 1 kit https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAXB8/9GNqxqLjKns/w647-h862-no/IMG_2905.JPG

CI was 3 on this test, but i am not was what its 3 of :) https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAXBk/17QBbqPIMQs/w647-h862-no/IMG_2903.JPG

I will re test tonight and post the results. A couple of days ago the PH was 7.8-8.0 but i havent been home since to add acid, doing it tonight. I am off to buy the acid, so i was thinking - do i need to buy stabiliser too?

I recommned not to put very much stabilizer in the pool unless you can test and meaure for it.
If you happen to put too much in there, it will cause big problems with being able to maintain your pool.
The only way to lower the stabilizer level if you put too much would be to drain water from the pool.

Having said that, if you intend to keep maintaining the pool through the winter, then it would be ok to put some in just for the sake of 'practice'. Maybe use the pool calculator and make your CYA target 30, That would be a safe number, and only add the amount of CYA the calculator says. Dont aim for any higher than that until you have a test kit and certainly dont add some arbitrary quantity just because someone said to.

The test kit you have will marginally work for testing. you can only measure to 3 with that kit and you cannot test for CC at all.
Should be fine for PH
It should be fine for the alkalinity test too.
Acid demand isnt necessary nor is bromine.

I dont have a fiberglass pool, but I do belive the CH should be maintained to some leve, or blistering of the finish may occur.
SO, you cant test for CH either.

Definitely, definitely get a good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.