Pump only leaks when off

Jun 6, 2008
I have a Hayward SP1515 1.5 HP pump that I purchased last summer for my above ground pool. I noticed that it was leaking around the lid when the pump is off. I purchased a new o-ring and replaced it. I usually run my pump constantly but the past couple of days we have had a lot of storms so I turned it off (cuz of all of the leaves that blow in while I am at work) I noticed that even with the rain my waterlevel went down a bit ....that is when I realized it is still coming out around the lid.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!!

There may be some debris on the sealing parts of the lid or pump housing, or the lid may not be tight enough. OR... there may be a crack in either of those. When you run the pump, is it fully air free? If not Pool School*a MUST READ for EVERYONE has an articlehere that may help with narrowing down any crack or leak.

Please keep us informed as to what you try and what does/ doesn't work :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.