Plumbing for new pump (valves, etc)

I'm replacing my 1 HP Hayward single speed pump with a Hayward Super Pump VS (SP2600VSP). I am also using this opportunity to replace the plumbing of the supply valves into my pump. Here is a pic of my current setup (with old pump):

pump.jpg

My question is what brand duct tape should I use to keep my new connections from leaking? jk. I know I have a few issues. For instance the old pump is way to close the wall, I don't like that. I also want to have a longer run of straight pipe before the pump inlet. I have

2 skimmer lines (1.5" PVC)
1 main drain line (1.5" PVC)

I want to be able to select any individual drain, or any combination of the three. A lot of people use 3 way valves. I noticed they typically have two 1.5" inlets with a 2" outlet. One option is to group my 2 skimmers into one 3 way valve, and then connect the output of the skimmer valve to another three way valve along with the main drain. But it seems to me that this gives preferential flow to the main drain. Is that a reasonable assumption? I want to be able to give my skimmers plenty of flow to suck up all the leaves and bugs that get dumped into my pool by neighboring trees. My other option seems to be to use 2 way valves and use T connections. I will gladly accept any suggestions on this topic.

My next concern is that my plumbing uses PVC. I notice the Jandy valves everyone seems to love is CPVC, so that is a bit of an issue. I'm having a hard time determining from online sellers whether the Pentair valves I am looking at are PVC or CPVC. Anyone know where to buy them where it is clearly marked? Maybe another brand I should consider?

Also, Is it a good idea to use slip fittings? Possibly around the sand filter inputs/outputs... anywhere else? Any better quality options?

Thanks in advance to anyone responding!

Josh

You can mix CPVC and PVC without any problems. Just make sure to use a primer and cement that is rated for both kinds (which most are).

All of the better three way valves accept pipes of either of two sizes on all three connections. They are generally 1.5" and 2", or 2" and 2.5". Though some of the newer valves are also available as 2.5" and 3".

"Duct tape"? Duct tape is not normally used in pool plumbing.

You want to plumb three way valves so that whatever you have two of use the two ports that are directly across from each other while the connection you only have one of uses the base of the T. For example, on the suction side you have two suction side ports, say main drain and skimmer, so they would use the two posts that face each other, while the outlet to the pump would use the base of the T port, which is at 90 degrees to the other two.

Thanks for the input. I chose 3 2-way valves and will be sure to use proper "cement." If you google CPVC to PVC you see some people saying you can't use cement and must use a brass adapter or something, meanwhile others say you can use a universal cement. It's comforting to hear from people on this forum that it should work.

I'll try to limit the amount of duct tape on my new install!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.