Purchasing Variable Speed Pump

pars

May 22, 2014
Anaheim, California
Hi everyone,

I am kind of skeptical as which of the following pumps I should consider purchasing. The reason for replacing my current 1 HP single speed pump is to conserve in electricity usage and consequently lowering my electricity bill.

1. Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pump for $660
2. Sta-Rite SuperMax VS 1.5HP Variable Speed Pool Pump for $636

I also understand that the Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump ($875) and Pentair IntelliFlo VS Variable Speed Pump - 011018 ($843) are very popular pumps in the market, however, they are kind of pricey and i am note sure if spending the extra money worth the investment if the above 2 pumps would be sufficient. Please let me know what do you think about these selections.

FYI, my pool is about 17,000 gallons and i live in Anaheim California with electricity rate of $0.16 per kwh. I turn on the pump for about 7 hours a day.

Thanks for your advice in advance

1 & 2 are identical pumps except for their color so there really is no difference.

You should also put the Hayward MaxFlo VS on your list. It is a bit more efficient but has a lower head curve so not appropriate for spas.

Thanks for your response. However, I have cross referenced the prices for a two speed motor and the Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pump or Sta-Rite SuperMax VS Pump, and the difference is not too much. As I stated, I am seeking advice as which of the pumps mentioned above would best fit for my situation.

Thanks

A two speed motor is about 1/2 the price (~$320) of the cheaper VSs but I can give you a better idea if you tell us your existing pump make/model.

As to which VS is better, they are all good pumps but the cheaper VSs (SuperFlo, SuperMax, MaxFlo) require an external controller or timer while the more expensive VSs do not. That is probably the biggest difference in features between the two "types" of VS pumps. So your best choice will depend on what you now have for pump control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That appears to be the 1 HP up rated motor that normally comes with the SP4007x10 but you should double check for the Pump Model (not motor) which should be on the side of the wet end right above the large Hayward label.

Also, do you know if your current motor is wired for 230v or 115v and can you wire it for either?

The label on the motor shows two ways of wiring the motor, one for low voltage (i.e. 115 volts) and another for high voltage (i.e. 230 volts). If you can tell which of those two ways the motor is wired, you will know which voltage you are using.

You can check the breaker for the pump. It will be a single width like most of the breakers if 110 or double width like "3" in the photo similar to what you'd use for an electric stove or dryer.
breakers.jpg

You should be able to tell by looking at the breaker. A 230v breaker is a double breaker with the switches tied together.

Also, to be able to tackle a motor or pump swap, you should be comfortable working with AC wiring so if you have never done this type of work before, you should probably hire someone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.