Testing a couple of new Pool Calculator features

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
I am testing out a couple of new Pool Calculator features with a beta test version here.

New features in this release include:

* support for liquid stabilizer calculations.

* a field for entering your fill waters CH level, for more accurate water replacement calculations with high CH fill water.

* calculations for the amount of salt added by all the different forms of chlorine in the "Effects of adding chemicals" section.

* a small tweak (a slight reduction) to the amount of acid needed to compensate for borax in the raising borates section

As always I welcome testing and any comments you may have.

If you were using my Pool Equations spreadsheet for the salt calculations, it's not accurate because it just assumes that whatever is needed for leftover ionic balance such as introduced from extra TDS must be salt. Adding Trichlor doesn't add any salt in spite of what my spreadsheet says. That's something I could fix with some extra work, but I never got around to it.

The actual salt amounts from adding Trichlor and Dichlor are zero. Bleach and chlorinating liquid add 8.2 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC. Cal-Hypo is somewhere in between at around 2 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC. Lithium Hypochlorite adds around 7.6 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC.

In addition to the above, all sources of chlorine end up adding 8.2 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC after the chlorine gets used up. Also, products added for pH adjustment may add forms of salt, though not necessarily chloride (i.e. sodium carbonate or sodium bisulfate).

Richard

chem geek, thanks. It looks like I got a couple of the salt numbers wrong. It is my intention to include the 8.2 ppm from the breakdown of chlorine, so all of the numbers should be at least that much. (EDIT)I have adjusted the beta version to reflect the corrected numbers(/EDIT).

I have been planning to add Lithium Hypochlorite to the "Effects of adding chemicals" section. But I don't know what effect it has on the PH. I am also a little unclear on the concentrations it is sold in. Various places say things like 29% Lithium Hypochlorite and 35% available chlorine.

frustratedpoolmom said:
What is lithium hypochlorite?

A very expensive form of powder chlorine, fast dissolving, doesn't contain CYA and is often sold as recommended for vinyl liner pools.

I priced it out compared to bleach way back when. I'm still trying to recover :shock:

great work Jason,

Any chance of adding a correction factor for Borate concentrations near 50ppm to the calculations for changing pH? I know many of us would find that useful.

Thanks for your excellent contribution to our community.

Marc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
chem geek, thanks. It looks like I got a couple of the salt numbers wrong. It is my intention to include the 8.2 ppm from the breakdown of chlorine, so all of the numbers should be at least that much. (EDIT)I have adjusted the beta version to reflect the corrected numbers(/EDIT).

I have been planning to add Lithium Hypochlorite to the "Effects of adding chemicals" section. But I don't know what effect it has on the PH. I am also a little unclear on the concentrations it is sold in. Various places say things like 29% Lithium Hypochlorite and 35% available chlorine.
29% Lithium Hypochlorite by weight is 35.2% Available Chlorine and is pretty typical so that's what you should use. As for it's effect on pH, it is the same as any other hypochlorite source of chlorine -- a function solely of it's Available Chlorine amount remembering that Available Chlorine is a weight percent of chlorine relative to chlorine gas that is 100%. 6% Bleach is actually 6% Sodium Hypochlorite by weight and 6.17% "Trade" which is the percent of available chlorine by volume, but is 5.71% Available Chlorine by weight.

So, multiplying the weight of Lithium Hypochlorite by 35.2% will give the weight equivalent of chlorine gas. One pound of Lithium Hypochlorite in 10,000 gallons of water raises the FC by 4.22 ppm and the pH from 7.5 to 7.67 at a TA of 100, identical to 8.7 ounces weight of Cal-Hypo 65% or 87.4 fluid ounces of 6% bleach.

Richard

JasonLion said:
Kinguni said:
Wal-Mart's 6% ultra bleach is now sold in 2.85 L bottles up here if that size can be added to the drop down.

Sure, I can add that. Can you tell me all the jug sizes you come across?

All I've seen up here this year is 5 L and 2.85 L, although I think Superstore still has the 3.6 L regular bleach. I haven't bought any in some time though since I've been using tri-chlor to get the cya up. Next year I'm tossing the inline chlorinator though. Much easier to keep the water balanced with bleach.

The mouse over for liquid stabilizer should work now. Thanks The Mermaid Queen.

I added lithium hypochlorite to the Effects of adding chemicals section and the FC pop-up. Thanks chem geek.

And I changed the metric bleach jug sizes to 2, 2.85, 3.6, and 5 liters. The 1 liter jug is gone, but that is really easy to figure out from the number of ml. Thanks Kinguni.

Hi Jason

Great job with the calculator. Would it be possible to have an interchangeable value for the Muriatic Acid percentage? Around here, we don't have 31.45%. We have 29% which is very hard to find and 14.5% which is more common.

I love your calculator and wanted to make a suggestion that might help newbies.

The goal values should be changed based on what type of pool you have and if you have an SWG or not. I base this on the Recommended Levels link and is what I'm basing goals values with.

If there were check-boxes or radio buttons at the top that allow the user to pick the flavor of pool they have then then the program could use that to fill in the appropriate values in the goal column.

It appears that you use cookies to store default values from one run to the next but I find that the default goal values go back to their default value on occasion. Maybe they are only kept for the session which may explain it.

Having different preset goal values for the pool type would be pretty cool and I think valuable for newbies like me.

If you didn't change a thing, it's still a pretty sharp program.

chem geek said:
If you were using my Pool Equations spreadsheet for the salt calculations, it's not accurate because it just assumes that whatever is needed for leftover ionic balance such as introduced from extra TDS must be salt. Adding Trichlor doesn't add any salt in spite of what my spreadsheet says. That's something I could fix with some extra work, but I never got around to it.

The actual salt amounts from adding Trichlor and Dichlor are zero. Bleach and chlorinating liquid add 8.2 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC. Cal-Hypo is somewhere in between at around 2 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC. Lithium Hypochlorite adds around 7.6 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC.

In addition to the above, all sources of chlorine end up adding 8.2 ppm salt for every 10 ppm FC after the chlorine gets used up. Also, products added for pH adjustment may add forms of salt, though not necessarily chloride (i.e. sodium carbonate or sodium bisulfate).

Richard

If you are using the LQ for your chlorine system, are you still adding salt to the pool?

I think the LQ is supposed to leave the salt in the bottom of the LQ's tank. Not sure if it is true since I only see the "brown blob", reminds me of the movie The Blob, at the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.