May 22, 2014
Aurora, Oregon
OK - so I have had this house / pool for coming up on my second year. I have had my issues - as many of you have - and I have just gotten it cleaned up a bit this season. Starting to 'get it' as they say but still learning a lot.

Here's my deal - as I read through some of these posts and familiarizing myself with the pool math page, I am seeing that I probably don't have to be spending my money on some of the more expensive products out there - like using bleach as opposed to 'Shock' etc.

So - I have this unlabeled bottle of what I presume is an acid of some type - it came with the house. I opened it and took a whiff awhile back and nearly burned all the hair out of my nose and singed my lungs.

Is there a way to definitively say which it is - Muriatic or Cyanuric?

I have been using Arm and Hammer Clear Balance tablets, and while expensive, they do seem to work - but I would rather try to save some bucks and figure out this acid thing.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Tom

Welcome to TFP!

From your description, and assuming it is a clear (or just slightly tinted) liquid, it sure sounds like muriatic acid. There is a remote chance it is sulfuric acid, but that seems much less likely.

Clear Balance tablets raise PH & TA. Muriatic acid lowers PH & TA. There are used for completely different purposes.

A quick google search shows that there are tests for muriatic/hydrochloric acid, but one of the reagents, silver nitrate is nasty, if I recall correctly. I personally wouldn't dump an unknown liquid into my pool. I would save it for the next hazardous waste pickup.

Regular MA is relatively cheap in the pool or home improvement stores. Cheaper than tablets in pretty boxes, certainly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.