Replacing Pump & Filter and thinking of adding a timer (also, single vs dual speed)

Apr 8, 2009
Replacing Pump & Filter and thinking of adding a timer (also, single vs dual speed)

Pump motor died at the end of last season. Sand filter also has pressure cracks in the housing (in the 'egg' shaped part) that seep when pump is running. The filter has been leaking since we bought the house 5 years ago but figure it's probably a good idea to just replace everything.

POOL: Inground 22,000 gallon paisley shaped with 1 skimmer, 1 drain and 4 returns. Pool is approximately 40ft from pump.
CURRENT PUMP: Hayward Super Pump (Model C48L2N134B1)

Was thinking of just replacing with same equipment that is there now (as it ran the pool with no problems concerning water flow and filtration).

Would like to add a timer to run the pool at night and cut off in morning.

Will probably add a chlorinator a bit down the road as well.

Was looking at Intertmatic timers, but there are so many I'm not sure which to choose.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Re: Replacing Pump & Filter and thinking of adding a timer (also, single vs dual spee

Sounds like a good plan. I use a very basic plug in timer so I can't help with that one, but I'm sure some of our members with Intermatic timers will be glad to chime in.

Re: Replacing Pump & Filter and thinking of adding a timer (also, single vs dual spee

You're right, the easy answer is to just replace what you've got. I'd highly recommend going with a 2 speed pump over a single speed. You'll get better filtration and serious energy savings. I'm not good at sizing pumps, though, so I'll let others chime in on that part. Generally speaking, the pumps are paired with filters that are too small, so you can likely downsize a bit - again, wait for other opinions, because I can't back that up with empirical evidence.

If all you have is a pump and a filter, no heater, water features, etc., you can use a SPST (single pole single throw) timer. Intermatics (or comparable knockoffs) have to be hardwired into the circuit. You can buy the temporary/portable timers, but make sure they're rated high enough for the circuit. If you're looking at adding an SWG down the line, that adds a little complexity to the equation, but not much. (I assume that's what you meant when you said "chlorinator" above.)

Hi dbishop I think staying with your current set would be good especially if it has been working fine for you and the plumbing should be quite easier as the ports should be in the same location.

Typically you want to turn the pool over in an eight hour time period. For your pool this would be a pump that is outputting roughly 45 gallons per minute. The 1 hp super pump will do about 65 Gpms and the 3/4 will do 45 Gpms.

You will then want to make sure you pair the pump with a filter which has a flow rating which can handle flow of the pump you select.

I would highly recommend a dual speed pump as there will be significant energy savings over a single speed pump. If you go with a dual speed pump you will want to go with the T106104r Intermatic timer, this timer has two timeclocks one to power the pump on and off and a second to switch between high and low speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(I assume that's what you meant when you said "chlorinator" above.)

Nah, after doing some preliminary research I think I'm going to stick with the BBB method. What I was thinking was adding a liquid chlorinator (or a bleach delivery system, if you will).

I replaced a light switch that was controlling my pump with this: Intermatic T101PCD82

I had it installed by a certified electrician. They replaced the light switch that controlled the pump with a better one for outdoors with the timer turned on or off by that switch. Required by code. It works great. Just ordered another set of on/off pins for it so I can do 2 cycles per day if I want. I'm not sure if you can hook a two-speed pump up to this particular timer. An electrician should be able to tell you. If they can't, find a better electrician.

​Love my timer so far!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.