Grrr.....something chewing my FC

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
Ok. I opened my pool to a lovely green algae habitat. I brushed, vacuumed, and SLAMMED my way to a beautiful clear pool. I went on vacation for 8 days, brought up to shock level, added 5x3" tabs to chlorinator and came back to a clear pool but FC was around 3. My CYA is 50-55. I brought the FC up to above target level (seeing that no one is swimming in it yet) around 10 or so for the last week. Now all of a sudden my FC is getting chewed up fast. I did an OCLT last night and went from 13 to 9.5 so I brought the FC level to 25-30, and just did a FAS DPD this afternoon and im at 13.5. I have questions on how everyone else does this. I test before I add bleach, then add approximately what I am supposed to, but I don't retest to make sure it is at the level I want. Seems that I would use a 10gm DPD powder in just a few days if I did that. The water is crystal clear....the usual stray leaves and 30-40 insects in the bottom. I am only able to shock the pool about 3 times daily due to time constraints. Am I growing something good in my pool that I just can't see? Do I keep plunging the bleach in? My pool gets sun from 7am-8pm so I keep my CYA a little higher. I went ahead and purchased a 113gm jar of dpd powder that should be here in about a week. Any suggestions? Am I even doing this right? Is it better to add the bleach in the evening so it has more time to work before being burned off? Thanks in advance for any help
Complete results:
FC 13.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
Alk 110
CYA 50-55

I believe I did but I'm not totally sure. I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast today. :) You think maybe I hadn't gotten all the algae out and it bloomed over vacation? The pool is crystal clear...not that it's any indicator

I test before I add bleach, then add approximately what I am supposed to, but I don't retest to make sure it is at the level I want. Seems that I would use a 10gm DPD powder in just a few days if I did that
I see no reason for most folks to re-test after you calulate the correct dosage. That said, many do just for the reassurance.

On just a slightly different subject, do not conserve your powder so much that you are afraid to test. Order some more......this forum is based on precision testing to provide you the knowledge you need.

The powder is less than $10 and you will spend 5 times that much SLAMming your pool with bleach if you let your FC dip too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.