Would love to have a warmer pool this year! :)

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
I must be getting old - cold water is just not as bearable to me as it used to be!! I don't need to heat to "HOT", but would love to take the chill off a bit quicker!

Since we live in the country (so have to use pricey LP), and have a large pool, I don't think a heater would be justified - although if you have a recommendation that you think would be worthwhile, please, by all means, suggest away! :)

We have used solar sun rings before, but didn't even break them out last year. The dead bugs get trapped between the sun rings and get kind of "Greasy", ick. They do help with the water temp slightly, though, and are easy to remove, which is a huge plus.

I am wondering, though, if we get a solar cover, how we will manage the "on and off" of it. My pool is aboveground 21'x41'. The deck is along one of the long sides, and wraps halfway around the short ends. It is only about 3' wide at those ends, though. I can't wrap my head around how we will use a reel - where does it sit? What one do I have to get to be able to handle that large of a solar cover? Would it be better to cut the solar cover in half, so we can just take off part of it if we are just getting in for a dip (so only using half the pool)?

Do any of you have some thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!! :)

I also have a large pool (23x53)and the solar cover issue is difficult to address. We tried making it into 1/3 sections to maybe be manageable on a reel but the 80+ feet of solar cover (23 x 3) was more than any residential reel could handle.

The expense and hassle of trying to get that large area covered and uncovered just became to great for us so we gave up....deciding we didn't need the extra heat that badly.

Thanks for your response, Dave. Sounds like we are in the same boat! I guess I'll get out the sun rings again, and just take them off and clean them often enough to keep the dead bugs down. :)

I've been debating the same thing as well. We have plenty of deck area around ours and it's a basic 40x20 rectangle shape but I don't relish the idea of a huge reel of cover. I'm thinking of getting a cover (as thin as possible, 8mm or less), cutting it into 20x20 sections and using the PVC foam pipe method I've seen on the forums here. DIY Solar Cover Roller Still don't know if it would be less of a hassle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.