pump sucking air, suspect a leak

Hi! I'm new to the forum and also new to my pool. Inground vinyl pool, Emerson pump mated to a Hayward basket and Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter. Also has a heat pump inline, haven't attempted to use it yet. Owned an IG pool at the last house for 10 years. Moved in here last fall and have been working on this for two weeks. The pump strainer pot never fills with water fully. Poor suction at the skimmers (it has two). When I plug one skimmer I have gotten just enough suction to vacuum. I was only able to effectively vacuum it once though, and more recently the suction at the skimmer just isn't enough. There is enough water pressure at the jets to circulate chemicals and I've been able to get the chlorine and pH where it should be.

On start up there are some bubbles at the jets but after a few minutes that stops. Despite that the water level in the strainer stays at most around 75% full, and the filter never seems to fill fully. Sometimes the air relief valve will spurt some water but not a continuous stream.

I've replaced the strainer lid o-ring, checked the union at the pump intake (o-ring looks OK, put teflon tape on threads), and taken the pump off and made sure the impeller wasn't obstructed. Also tried removing the filter cartridges. I bought a garden house drain cleaning attachment,
the rubber bladder type. Backfed the pump from both skimmers with it, thinking there might be an obstruction. I noticed a few air bubbles coming from one of the skimmers, as I removed the bladder attachment from the opening at the bottom. I suspect I have a hairline crack in that skimmer that sucks air under a vacuum. We haven't noticed any water loss but I haven't run the bucket test. Is it possible to have a tiny hairline that causes little to no water leakage, but be enough to cause my air problem? We inherited an Aquabot so I don't really need to manually vacuum the pool. In theory I can get by as long as we can keep the water circulating. Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Matt

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It seems you have identified the problem but just haven't found the source.

Suction side air leaks are difficult to find but usually easy to fix, once found. There is an article in Pool School that describes some possibilities so may help.
I suspect I have a hairline crack in that skimmer that sucks air under a vacuum
I couldn't understand that very well....can you re-explain?

Sorry, I had suspected a hairline crack in a fitting at the bottom of the skimmer. However, I think I found the real problem. I tried filling the cartridge filter with water and then starting the pump. 90% improvement. This is a large filter that clamps together in the middle, so I could only fill it half way. I think if I plugged two of the three jets and back-filled it with a garden hose it would really purge all the air. Thanks for the reply!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It seems you have identified the problem but just haven't found the source.

Suction side air leaks are difficult to find but usually easy to fix, once found. There is an article in Pool School that describes some possibilities so may help. I couldn't understand that very well....can you re-explain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.