Citric Acid vs. Ascorbic Acid for Metal Stain Removal

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
Since I'm having stain issues, I was wondering what other acid may be as effective as ascoribic acid, and maybe at lower cost.

Sea Klear makes a stain remover called "Natural Stain Remover" where the main ingredient is Citric Acid. I have not tried it.

I saw a couple of internet sources for cheap Citric Acid. I know there have been posts that say Oxalic Acid is more toxic than Ascorbic Acid, but I've been reading that both Citric and Ascorbic are weak acids. And, it does seem like Citric Acid is used as a food ingredient, so hopefully, it would not be harmful?

I wonder if Citric acid would have the same Chlorine requirements, i.e. lower Cl to 0 before use and take Cl up slowly after treatment.

Any comments on Citric Acid?

Actually, all three of them (citric, ascorbic, oxalic) would deplete the chlorine. It's not their 'acidity' that makes them stain removers, it's the fact that all three of these are reducing agents (you might know them as 'anti-oxidants). They chemically 'reduce' the colored metal stain into a non colored, soluable metal ion that the sequesterant you add can then 'deactivate'.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.