Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Citric Acid vs. Ascorbic Acid for Metal Stain Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Citric Acid vs. Ascorbic Acid for Metal Stain Removal

Since I'm having stain issues, I was wondering what other acid may be as effective as ascoribic acid, and maybe at lower cost.

Sea Klear makes a stain remover called "Natural Stain Remover" where the main ingredient is Citric Acid. I have not tried it.

I saw a couple of internet sources for cheap Citric Acid. I know there have been posts that say Oxalic Acid is more toxic than Ascorbic Acid, but I've been reading that both Citric and Ascorbic are weak acids. And, it does seem like Citric Acid is used as a food ingredient, so hopefully, it would not be harmful?

I wonder if Citric acid would have the same Chlorine requirements, i.e. lower Cl to 0 before use and take Cl up slowly after treatment.

Any comments on Citric Acid?
    10K IG fiberglass pool, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, 1.5HP Hayward superpump, Heat Pump Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Citric Acid vs. Ascorbic Acid for Metal Stain Removal

Ascorbic acid isn't all that expensive. I have seen it for $12 per lb at places like this one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually, all three of them (citric, ascorbic, oxalic) would deplete the chlorine. It's not their 'acidity' that makes them stain removers, it's the fact that all three of these are reducing agents (you might know them as 'anti-oxidants). They chemically 'reduce' the colored metal stain into a non colored, soluable metal ion that the sequesterant you add can then 'deactivate'.

4. Back To Top    #4

5 lbs for $13.47 + $10/ship - a bit cheaper than ascorbic: http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_resu...hParamTxt=4272

Safe as ascoribic for the pool?

As effective?
    10K IG fiberglass pool, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, 1.5HP Hayward superpump, Heat Pump Heater