Return Jets - Point each one which direction?

Mar 19, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
This question probably has been asked a bunch of times, but i keep getting confused going over various posts, and articles about how to orient them. Perhaps it mostly depends on each individual pool and the equipment you have so I'll just post a drawing of mine, and where the return jets are. Please tell me what your opinion is:

PoolDrawing.png

The return jets have eyeballs on them. The holes are just holes with threads in them. One of the return holes seems to have pvc stuck in it where someone screwed it in and the end came off. I guess i'll have to remove that somehow.

I get a TON of debri in my area. Leaves.. bugs... lots it seems like to me. i can't seem to orient the jets properly to get everything. Stuff seems to pile up around the stairs and in the corner by the return jet nearest the skimmer. Also, by making the eyeball jets parallel to the water to get surface debri it seems like i'm not circulating the water at the bottom.

What's the best way to orient all these jets so that all the water gets circulated?
I suppose i need to buy something to screw in those holes to orient them downward or in some direction?
What about the jet nearest the stairs? It seems like it's all alone on that side of the pool.

Also, i'm not clear of the direction to orient each jet. I understand I want to point some downward. At the moment, the holes are just going parallel and the jets are also parallel but i suppose I should buy some device so that i can screw it in the holes and orient them downward?

Which way does the prevailing wind blow?

I'm a little concerned that if you don't point the right-most return toward the stairs you'll have a collection point there. Unfortunately, your pool wasn't laid out well for skimming IMO. You really should have had a return just to the right of the bend on the upper part of the drawing to get things circulating. The goal is usually to cause the surface debris to circle the pool and pass in front of the skimmer opening on its way around.

You should have eyeball fittings in your returns to both accelerate the flow and let you aim it.

I'd try aiming the right-most return directly at the stairs or maybe a hair to the right of the center of the stairs, the next one to the left toward the tanning ledge, and the one in the lower left as hard into the corner as you can get it. Shoot for all of them to be aimed very slightly toward the surface.
The return holes may have been for spa-type jets on a tanning ledge.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
As far as the wind, assuming you're looking at the picture as UP means north, then it's blowing from the North east. This seems good since it's mostly toward the skimmer, but due to the pool ledge stuff still accumulates where the wind gets blocked by the ledge.

I'm going to try orienting the jets as you said then. The return holes.. i'll buy some eyeball jets for them and orient them downward facing. So 3 jets to circulate water to skim the surface, and 3 jets to blow water to the bottom.

I have a round above ground pool and I turn mine away from the skimmer to get a nice counterclockwise current in the water. I actually took my eyeball out and used a 3/4" 45 degree elbow retrofitted to fit in there. The way the eyeball was pointing straight out, the water would not circulate good at all. The eyeball eventually wants to straighten out from whichever way I turned it.

I'd say point your bottom left jet to the right, the bottom right jet towards the stairs and the upper right jet towards the stairs. You will have to play with it to see what kind of current you get. You dont want any water pooling up anywhere if you can get out of it. Throw a floatable object in the pool like a tennis ball and watch it.

How did you get golf balls to float?
Max,

The driving range at the Coeur d' Alene golf is a lake and they use floating golf balls. They pretty much feel like normal golf balls.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MaxAcceleration
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.