Hello good people of the forum (please help!) lol ;-)

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
I am sure you have heard stories like mine a million times...but, I was looking for an inexpensive-ish pool for the summer (and hopefully years to come) and turned to CL to start my hunt. I did ultimately find what I thought was a great deal on a pool that needed a liner. It was an older pool...with some light surface rust on the outside of the pool wall but over all with an exception of a couple things the pool appeared to be in really good shape. So, we loaded everything up and got it home and started the fun of getting ready to set up the pool. We are running into a couple of issues and seeing that we have never set up one of these pools before...we are just kind of the blind leading the blind over here so I was grateful to find this community online!

The pool was listed as a "Doughboy-Type" pool...and it is (or is supposed to be) 12x24x52.

it is a buttress-free pool. The first issue we are having is the straps seem to have slack in them if we measure the walls out to 12'...AND....as we start to get the bottom track loosely laid out....it is measuring more like 12.5'?!?!?!

Trying to locate any info on how the bottom track is supposed to go (ie, the railings are different sizes) AND...if we pull the straps tight, then the pool will be slightly wider then 12FT....but the guy swears he bought it used as a 12x24x52 and replaced the liner as a 12x24 replacement.

I have already purchased the liner via ebay as a 12x24 but I am freaking out over the seemingly .5 foot difference!

I cant find anything on the pool to tell me who makes it. The only thing I have found (ironically) is an old thread on this board from someone with the same pool wall pattern also seeking the manufacture info to get instructions/help with the pool.

Here is the old thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/14811-pool-brand

and here are pictures of MY pool wall (also showing the same stamped VP 99 as mentioned and shown in the previous thread by another user.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

I was hoping that after the time that has passed since the last thread, someone may have some more info and can point me in a positive direction.

Thank you,
Steve

It seems impossible to NOT be able to find out SOMETHING about this pool. I am going to pull what little hair I have left out of my head over this! lol

We are really perplexed about the install. The bottom track has 3 different size pieces to it, and we have no idea what size goes where. The way we have it now (just a mock trial) has the posts misaligned from one another. I REALLY need to get some info on this pool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Steve

Welcome to TFP!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem directly, but an idea occurs that we could possibly be able to figure at least part of it out.

I am assuming a rectangular pool, not oval.

You say there are several different sizes of bottom track? How many of each size? i would think that the corners should have 8 pieces of a larger size, that could be connected at 90* to each other. the sidewalls would probably be the next largest size, and the endwalls the smallest.

I doubt that the actual measurements would be exactly 12 x 24.

Other than that, I'm not sure I can help any further.

Steve, Welcome to TFP. I am not well versed on Oval Pools but I can tell you that youtube may help you figure out the 3 lengths of the track. I know they come with 3 different pieces but as you can see from my sig... I have a round pool because those ovals are very tricky and a lot of work in my opinion.

We just put our oval up last year,without instruction's it would have been a hugh failure. TFP has some of the most KNOWLEDGEABLE people in this area. I suggest some pic's of these parts and someone will be along shortly, I dont have a doughboy or I would scan and post, and welcome to TFP...

Casey! Thanks for the reply! Now someone tells me! lol

Actualy though, I feel like (IF we can get this up and running) I got a really good deal on the pool. I paid 200.00 for the pool with pump/skimmer/filters and extra supplies... and 250.00 for a liner. About 80.00 for 6 yards of sand and some free labor to get it done (other then throwing some burgers on the grill and some cold drinks). ;-) I am sure together....(the good ppl of this online community) me, and google....we can figure something out! lol

Any help/info is greatly appreciated!

Steve

My oval Doughboy has different sizes of bottom track. If it is a Doughboy you can request a copy of the installation instructions be sent from the company ( no charge) they go waaaay back. My guess however, is that it is some other brand. What do the pressure plates look like?

- - - Updated - - -

...also, if you could post a pic of the top rail I bet it could be identified :)

OK! Progress! So today, I started digging around a box that came with the pool and I found these round caps that go in the post caps (sorry I may be calling these things completely wrong names for lack of knowing any better! LOL) on the pool. They clearly have VOGUE on them, so we infact do have a VOGUE pool it would certianly seem!

That is a start! Anyway, I took a few pictures. One of the pressure plates(?) had something stamped on the bottem. A parts number perhaps? it was the only one that had this stamp so I took a pic and am posting it. I am also posting a pic of the top rail, 3 sized bottom track peices and the support/leg cap. Maybe this will get me closer to finding out what pool I actualy have! LOL ;-)

Thanks again for he help!

ok this is going to make me makea new post for each picture it seems. here goes.....

this is the pressure plate that is clearly stamped 21120 or 2/120 ?!?!?

stamped_plate.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...lets see if this works! This is the "smoking gun" if you will. it is the VOGUE stamped round piece I found in the box that snaps in the top caps (it appears).

vogue.jpg

here is the top rail:

top_rail.jpg

this is the post caps:

http://www.euphonicproductions.com/pool/top_cap01.jpg

here are pics of the bottem track (3 different length/sizes)

track.jpg

hopefuly this will be helpful in figuring out what pool I actualy have so I can get some intall instructions on it! ;-)

Yeah! I bet you can contact the manufacturer for installation instruction. ...and pressure plates are actually ( usually) rectangular sheets that lay under the pool. The weight of the water presses down on them and as they are bolted to and rest on top of the buttresses ( buttress-less still has a buttress it is just less noticeable) they support the long sides of the oval. :). Brace yourself, this is a major project!

Yeah! I bet you can contact the manufacturer for installation instruction. ...and pressure plates are actually ( usually) rectangular sheets that lay under the pool. The weight of the water presses down on them and as they are bolted to and rest on top of the buttresses ( buttress-less still has a buttress it is just less noticeable) they support the long sides of the oval. :). Brace yourself, this is a major project!

I am thinking getting the instructions is a major project! LOL ;-)

So, I emailed and have called Wibar and they have directed me to Trendium Pool Products Inc and I have set an email with requeste photo for them to helpme identify the pool.

This is certianly slowing down the process! lol

Are any of the bottom rail pieces actually straight? The pic you posted appears that they all are curved to some extent.

See if you can separate out of them any that have about a 6' radius to the curve. I would suspect that you will find the 8 bigger pieces will be the endwalls, and the 4 medium and 4 short are supposed to be straight. Or it could be just the opposite.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll help you get this thing on track (pun intended)!

Actually all the bottom pieces are supposed to be curved and usually to the same degree. So I vote, " just the opposite". How many cantilevers are there, six or eight? So all the track between cantilevers should be equal, then probably the longest coming off each end cantilever and then a couple short at each end of the oval. Oval pools have this girdle look to them in the middle, the top rail disguises it in the end. :)

Actually all the bottom pieces are supposed to be curved and usually to the same degree. So I vote, " just the opposite". How many cantilevers are there, six or eight? So all the track between cantilevers should be equal, then probably the longest coming off each end cantilever and then a couple short at each end of the oval. Oval pools have this girdle look to them in the middle, the top rail disguises it in the end. :)

You will have to forgive me....

what exactly is a "cantilever"? if you can explain that to me...I will go count them! ;-)

I have a Dough Boy 12'x 24' Oval and if you can see it in these photos?

The side walls to curve in and out between the upright supports. This may be the reason you are seeing the curved rails in your case.

Unfortunately i do not have any photos from the install to share which may give you a better idea of the curves.

Hope this helps you in some way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.