Alkalinity and PH

Aramei

Jun 24, 2008
I finally have my pool clear and trying keep levels up. When I did a test last night it seemed everything was fine but the Alkalinity..it was in the high range. I have been using liquid chlorine and also pucks in floater.

How do I get Alkalinity down? I know there are products for PH plus/minus.

Thanks
Christine

The only way to lower your TA is to add enough acid (muriatic or dry) to bring your pH down to 7.2, and then aerate the surface of your water to bring the pH back up to around 7.6 or 7.8, and then keep repeating the process until your TA is down to the proper level. Adding the acid will lower both the pH and the TA, and aerating raises the pH only. I'm in the process of lowering mine right now, in fact. Each iteration is dropping it around 5ppm.

Hello Christine. I see you found your way to this site as well. Glad to here that you are getting things under control.

These people on this site are awesome. :goodjob:

They will give you the greatest of advise. Take the time to learn in the pool school, and you will be on your way.

Since I have joined on here, I am fully into BBB and have had no problems in the last 2 months whatsoever.

The CYA to Chlorine chart is very usefull and the sooner you can get that under control, the better your pool will look.

Happy swimming. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.