New DE filter reads zero (0) psi. Is this ok?

fponzani

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
Hello, all.

Brand spanking new Pentair Quad DE 80 (8lbs of DE). Rated at 160 gpm.
Intelliflo VF pumping 24gpm.
1 drain, 2 skims, 3 returns. All 2" plumbing. Heater and SWG are not plumbed in yet.

Pressure gauge bumped up to not even 5psi during prime, then settled back down to zero at steady state. I'm thinking (hoping) that it's because of the low flow through the big filter. But I gotta ask...is this ok?

Ponz

This is probably because you have the IntelliFlo set to a fairly low speed. Low pressure means lower electrical costs. If you manually play with the IntelliFo speed you should see the filter pressure ramp up as the pump gets faster.

How's the return flow to the pool?
Considering it's 24gpm split into three, not much velocity. Plus, I don't have the eyeballs in the return fittings yet.

This is probably because you have the IntelliFlo set to a fairly low speed. Low pressure means lower electrical costs. If you manually play with the IntelliFo speed you should see the filter pressure ramp up as the pump gets faster.
Sorry, I should've thought of cranking up the flow. It didn't occur to me while working in the downpour after dark last night. :hammer:

The IF calculated out the 24gpm based on one 35k turnover in 24 hours. Power consumption is at 135watts, which is definately ok in my book. I just wonder if this will be enough for good skimmer action.

Thanks, Ponz

I think you will need to program so that you have at least a four hour or so window of higher flow. My pump is set to kick up when the solar kicks on so I get anywhere from 2 to 6 hours of high flow a day - that is when most of the surface junk gets pulled into the skimmers. At low flow, the pump is sooooo quiet, and it is circulating around 25gpm or so, but the skimmers definitely don't work as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.