Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New DE filter reads zero (0) psi. Is this ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

New DE filter reads zero (0) psi. Is this ok?

Hello, all.

Brand spanking new Pentair Quad DE 80 (8lbs of DE). Rated at 160 gpm.
    Intelliflo VF pumping 24gpm.
    1 drain, 2 skims, 3 returns. All 2" plumbing. Heater and SWG are not plumbed in yet.

Pressure gauge bumped up to not even 5psi during prime, then settled back down to zero at steady state. I'm thinking (hoping) that it's because of the low flow through the big filter. But I gotta ask...is this ok?

Ponz
    Cleveland, Ohio
    20 x 46 Vinyl (self-built)
    Pentair Intelliflo VF pump : Pentair Quad D.E. 80 filter : Pentair IC-40 SWG : Raypak 335k N.G. heater
    Diving board : Slide : 4 Jandy Deck Jets : Automatic Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New DE filter reads zero (0) psi. Is this ok?

How's the return flow to the pool?

3. Back To Top    #3

This is probably because you have the IntelliFlo set to a fairly low speed. Low pressure means lower electrical costs. If you manually play with the IntelliFo speed you should see the filter pressure ramp up as the pump gets faster.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How's the return flow to the pool?
    Considering it's 24gpm split into three, not much velocity. Plus, I don't have the eyeballs in the return fittings yet.

This is probably because you have the IntelliFlo set to a fairly low speed. Low pressure means lower electrical costs. If you manually play with the IntelliFo speed you should see the filter pressure ramp up as the pump gets faster.
    Sorry, I should've thought of cranking up the flow. It didn't occur to me while working in the downpour after dark last night.

The IF calculated out the 24gpm based on one 35k turnover in 24 hours. Power consumption is at 135watts, which is definately ok in my book. I just wonder if this will be enough for good skimmer action.

Thanks, Ponz
    Cleveland, Ohio
    20 x 46 Vinyl (self-built)
    Pentair Intelliflo VF pump : Pentair Quad D.E. 80 filter : Pentair IC-40 SWG : Raypak 335k N.G. heater
    Diving board : Slide : 4 Jandy Deck Jets : Automatic Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you will need to program so that you have at least a four hour or so window of higher flow. My pump is set to kick up when the solar kicks on so I get anywhere from 2 to 6 hours of high flow a day - that is when most of the surface junk gets pulled into the skimmers. At low flow, the pump is sooooo quiet, and it is circulating around 25gpm or so, but the skimmers definitely don't work as well.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.