Post your Favorite "Go To" Summertime Recipe!!! Drink or Food

Nov 13, 2013
Pearland, TX
With summertime fast approaching its time to fire up the grill (or stove/oven/microwave) and post some your favorite "go to" summertime recipes. This can also include your favorite summertime cocktail/drink.

I will kick it off with my go to summertime drink when friends or family come over.

SANGRIA!

Yields: 1 pitcher

Ingredients:
-1 package of frozen berries (balckberries,blueberries, rasberries) or whatever fruit you like
-1/4 cup of brandy
-1 liter of red wine (I prefer cabernet)
- 1/4 cup of simple syrup (or to taste)
-1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 lime (cut in half)
-1 orange (cut sideways outer skin removed)
- 1 liter of club soda or ginger ale, I prefer club soda this is optional to top off drink once poured in glass.

Procedure:
-Combine frozen berries,Orange slices and brandy in pitcher let soak for at least and hour or two and refrigerate.
-Add orange juice, juice from lime, red wine and simple syrup stir
-Taste, if bitter add more orange juice and or simple syrup to taste... stir. You should not be able to taste the dryness of the wine sort of tastes like gatorade fruity and light.
- pour into glass with ice and top off with club soda.. enjoy...
:cheers:

My big hit at barbeques and picnics is my macaroni salad. It needs to be made 2 or 3 days in advance.

Boil 8 eggs and let them cool off. Boil a whole 1 lb bag of salad macaroni. If it says cooks in 7-8 minutes, go for 7. When it's cooked, drain and chill.

While the nacaroni is boiling, mix the dressing.
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
Let it sit in the refrigerator so the flavors meld.

Peel and chop up the boiled eggs. Sometimes I leave two out to slice and use as a garnish.

Mix the chopped eggs, the chilled macaroni,
1 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (about one big one)
1 1/2 cup chopped celery (2-3 stalks)
1 cup chopped red onion (about half of a big one)
1 1/2 cups ( 2, 2 1/4 oz cans) sliced black olives

When I chop the stuff, I aim for pieces maybe 1/4 * 1/2 inch max.

Then add the dressing and mix it all up. Let it sit in the refrigerator, covered, a few hours, stir it up and taste it. If it's dry, add more pickle juice. You might want more salt or pepper. If it tastes too oniony, don't worry, that diminishes as it sits. Stir it a couple times a day to keep it moist and taste test it.

Makes a huge vat.

Irish Coffee slush:

3 cups heavy cream
8 cups strong brewed coffee, cooled
2 cups sugar
2 cups Irish whiskey (I like Jameson's)

Mix together and put in small cooler without lid. Place in freezer. Mix completely every day with immersion blender (very important). In 2-4 days, the texture should be smooth and creamy.

Enjoy!

One more:

Whiskey slush:

9 cups water
6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
6 oz frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Bourbon whiskey
4 teaspoons unflavored, unsweetened instant tea powder

Mix together and put in small cooler without lid. Place in freezer. Mix completely every day with immersion blender (very important). In 2-4 days, the texture should be smooth and creamy.

Enjoy!

Flank Steak

I live in Texas so I'm used to going to the local Carniceria and buying pre marinade flank steak (thin) and grilling.
Made this for the first time yesterday indoors on my cast iron skillet and it turned out great.

Yields: enough to feed 3-4 people.
Marinade for 24 hours
Cook time: 5-6 minutes on each side.

2 pound flank steak from your local grocery store
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves or garlic minced
1/3 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
2 tbl spoons of dijon mustard
1/3 cup of worchestire sauce
juice from 1 lemon
salt and pepper

-combine all ingredients in ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight.
-let meat come to room temp before cooking (30 minutes)
- heat cast iron skillet for about 5-6 minutes
-cook each side of flank steak for about 5-6 minutes, longer if you prefer well done. Cooking for 5-6 minutes will ensure a tender more flavorful experience. There will be a bunch of smoke, don't panic let the meat cook, set your timer and trust.
-let rest 10 minutes before carving, cut against the grain and cut at an angle.

Enjoy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.