How many hours?

Any chance of giving us those oft asked for chem #s :wink:

If your water is good and your not loosing excessive fc each day (or getting cc) then things are fine as they are 8) I've always heard the basic rule of thumb (picture of thumb included here- :goodjob: - :mrgreen: ) is to run the pump 1 hour per 10 degrees F that the daytime high is averaging (ie. 8 hours if the temps are in the 80s) - however, more or less may be needed or enough depending on your pool and local climate!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :hammer:

Interesting that so many of you run 24/7. I always thought in the summer that's the norm. I had mine set originally by PB from 8a-2p. Then the plaster guys came out and did some work, water was cloudy and I increased it to 8-8. PB was over this morning and saw that setting and said you don't need to run it that long. Does it have to do w/ the type of filter? It's Sta-Rite cartridge, 1 speed

The ideal run time depends on a number of factors and can vary quite a bit from pool to pool. The most important question is the relative size of the pump and the pool. Large pumps on small pools don't need much run time. Small pumps on large pools need lots of run time. Warmer temperatures need longer run times. More people swimming each day also requires longer run times.

I ran my pump 24/7 last year and racked up some big elec bills. I decided to try less time this year. I'm running mine for 6.5 hours a day, which according to my filter manual, is enough to turn my pool over once. My water is staying crystal clear, so that's good enough for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Sta-Rite filter and a 2hp pump. I adhere to the one hour per 10 degrees in air temp with a max of 8 hours in the summer and 4 hours in the winter. I keep FC between 3 and 4 and adjust SWG run time seasonally. All my other numbers are fine with the exception of CH.

JasonLion said:
The ideal run time depends on a number of factors and can vary quite a bit from pool to pool. The most important question is the relative size of the pump and the pool. Large pumps on small pools don't need much run time. Small pumps on large pools need lots of run time. Warmer temperatures need longer run times. More people swimming each day also requires longer run times.

Which leads me to my next question.......

The other day I was on a different pool forum (sorry :oops: ) and read where someone was posting that you should NEVER purchase too big of a pump for a small pool. And that a 1 HP pump was WAY too big for a 15-18' AG pool. Well....I feel awful that I didn't find THIS forum before I bought my pool package, and I could have done more research. Because I have a 15' round with a 1 HP pump with cartridge filter. And now I'm wondering if the pool place didn't sell it to me just to make money, without giving me better advice. We DID upgrade the pump that came with the package, which I forget what it was...maybe 1/2 HP? Anyway, reading that post scared me. Will that pump harm my pool in any way? Was I really stupid to get the bigger pump? We just thought, the bigger the better.

Any thoughts or advice? Our water thus far (only had our pool a week and a half now) is crystal clear and we have had NO problems. I've been running the pump approx. 12 hours.

:(

Cassiopeia said:
JasonLion said:

Which leads me to my next question.......

The other day I was on a different pool forum (sorry :oops: ) and read where someone was posting that you should NEVER purchase too big of a pump for a small pool. And that a 1 HP pump was WAY too big for a 15-18' AG pool. Well....I feel awful that I didn't find THIS forum before I bought my pool package, and I could have done more research. Because I have a 15' round with a 1 HP pump with cartridge filter. And now I'm wondering if the pool place didn't sell it to me just to make money, without giving me better advice. We DID upgrade the pump that came with the package, which I forget what it was...maybe 1/2 HP? Anyway, reading that post scared me. Will that pump harm my pool in any way? Was I really stupid to get the bigger pump? We just thought, the bigger the better.

Any thoughts or advice? Our water thus far (only had our pool a week and a half now) is crystal clear and we have had NO problems. I've been running the pump approx. 12 hours.

:(

It doesn't sound like 1hp is too big. Consider an 8 or 10 hour run time, to save on elec? My SIL had a 1.5 hp 2 speed pump on her 18 pool for years. No issues whatsoever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.