Thin Paver Overlay Remodel

Having them installed as I write this. My travertine pavers are going over kool deck and my concrete deck is in great shape after 20 years.
I am having them dry laid over a thin bed of sand which is screed over the concrete. The perimeter of the patio was ground to remove the kool deck coating the doping was done as well as these areas get mortared.
The travertine I am using is tumbled not chiseled didn't like the look of chiseled but its my preference. The pavers are being set edge to edge with no expansion joint/grout line. Polymeric sand will fill in any voids between the pavers.
All this above may not help you with what your asking since I don't have to deal with water pockets and freezing temps. This company(ohio) seems to know their stuff when it comes to pavers and remodeling. Several videos and Q&A too. hope this helps...
http://www.twobrothersbrickpaving.com/

I don't have a pool yet, but we will be having approx 1500SqFt of mortared (wet lay) thin paver overlay around our future pool this fall. We live in Ontario Canada, so our climate is comparable. We've installed 2 flagstone patios on our property in the same manner, and have had no issues since they were installed 4 yrs ago (and this past winter was a killer!). Our property is one big sheet of limestone though, so there isn't much wiggle room to cause heaving. For the other patios they brought the grade down to the limestone base, then compacted the aggregate base, poured the cement, put the flagstone in place & mortared it. (I may have missed a step or so, but hopfully you get the point...forgot to mention o-hoses were strategically placed for drainage, and the cement based installed with the slightest slant to aid in run-off). We are opting for the wet lay vs the dry lay for our future pool b/c we find it looks much more finished. We have many other friends in this area who have either pavers, dry lay thin pavers over a cement base or wet lay over a cement base and no complaints yet.
Does your present concrete base have a really good compacted base layer? I think that a good base layer and proper drainage is the key.
Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm still shopping around and saving for the project. Most of the thin pavers seem to come out of Florida so shipping costs are hugs to Mass. I did find one out of New York called superthinpavers.com that was reasonable. I did add grit to the sealer but it is still slippery with young kids. I just love pavers and regret not using them to begin with but it's nice to know the thin pavers are an option down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.