"Real" AGP and Salt Water Systems

Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Just wanted to throw this out to the masses and see what sticks.

I was in a pool place yesterday and asked some questions about 'real' salt-water systems. ie. Hayward Aqua-Trol etc.. they (Pool Place) said that it isn't recommended for vinyl lined pools, salt-water systems are usually for in-ground pools. They said the salt water would deteriorate the liner over time. The reason Intex gets away with it is their pools are a Vinyl/Canvas style liner. Plus if you use their (meaning Intex) it is ok on Their pools

Is this a true statement, is it a bunch of garbage, or are there proven incidents with Salt Water systems ruining 'Real' AGP's?

:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

Total nonsense. The liner is going to be completely fine. Above ground pools have a small risk of an undetected leak causing the frame to rust when you are using salt, but the liner doesn't care at all.

That is what I thought, and with the newer pools, they are more of a resin construction instead of the old metal. It was probably just the pool place trying to make more money on a fiberglass IGP. I won't be going back to this place at all, only thing I needed them for was my new access ladder for my pool deck I am still building, should be done in the next 24-48 hours.....Yep, just in time for Memorial Day weekend WooHoo!!! :swim::swim:

That is the biggest lie I have ever heard from a pool place. Chlorine is much harder on the vinyle than salt. Salt does not dry out vinyle like Chlorine will. Most places do not like salt water systems because it cuts into them selling you lots of cemicals.

ah, that makes total sense. Their big product they were pushing for SW pools I want to say was Simple-Salt. Below is a snippit from the website. and I don't believe it one bit!

<snip>

The Simple Salt System offers such advanced technology that it is truly a low-maintenance system; set it and forget it! Just remember to test your pool water weekly. There is even a water temperature display and system active indicator so you can rest assured that your system is functioning properly.

A 40 lb. bag of salt, one time only, on new pools will achieve a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) level of 1000 ppm or greater, kick starting the natural minerals. This will enable us to get a clear reading when testing for copper. Again, the ideal range for copper is between 0.3-0.5 ppm.

The Simple Salt System is environmentally friendly! By eliminating the need for daily sanitizers, we are helping the planet. You can even recycle the plastic chamber when the copper is depleted. When the chamber light illuminates, it is time to replace the chamber. The chamber will last one season on most pools. A number of factors will determine the life expectancy of the chamber such as pool size, weather, and usage.

<snip>

I am sorry, with my Intex SWG, I had to put 120-160# of pool salt in my pool, and it is 6000 gallons. how in the name of **** can you get a sanitized pool with only 40#??!?!?

something sounds fishy and yes I live near the ocean so it isn't that :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well this is my 4th year using the copper/silver ionization system and my pool with non-chlorine weekly shock has been perfect! In fact they say you could shock every 2 weeks but I do weekly and it is crystal clear. It still smells a tad like chlorine. I have NEVER had algae or anything in my pool. I use the normal opening and closing kits everyone else uses. My copper level at times gets above normal but my blond gray hair has never turned green! :)

You should only have to "shock" when absolutely necessary, which really should be NEVER. And, your pool should not smell like chlorine. From my experience and from what I learned on TFP, I can tell a pool in distress by the way the water looks and/or smells.

You should only have to "shock" when absolutely necessary, which really should be NEVER. And, your pool should not smell like chlorine. From my experience and from what I learned on TFP, I can tell a pool in distress by the way the water looks and/or smells.

what is this "shock" term you speak of? :scratch:

forgive me, I am a BBB'r and am unfamiliar with this terminology.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.