Salt Levels

Jul 7, 2012
We have an Intellichlor. Our pool is between 25 and 30k gallons. It's a lagoon shape, so we were never sure.

Anyway, this is our second year. We opened the pool and the diagnostics showed 1500 ppm for salt. The intellichlor also showed "low salt". I used the pool calculator to determine we needed to add about 9 bags of salt to get us up to 3200 ppm. Neither of us could remember what we did last year, so we just started with five bags (40 lbs per bag, solar salt). We added them last night. This morning, the diagnostics on the panel shows 4500 ppm salt!

I don't have any strips or anything like that to check it manually. We've always just used the diagnostics on the panel.

Any ideas what the heck happened?

"Neither of us could remember what we did last year"

Not picking on you, but one of the best reasons we suggest keeping a log of your additives and what results they have on your pool under differing conditions until you get to "know" your pool. Let the pool circulate for another 24 hours constantly so the cell might "re-sample the water". Good salt test available at www.tftestkits.net----(along with the TF100.)

Yes, lesson learned. We have already started documenting things.

Thanks for the response. I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit which I used last year and it was great. It doesn't appear to have a salt test. I'll check into the link you posted.

I increased CL output from my SWG this morning because FC levels are LOW (even though I keep shocking it - also trying to get CYA levels up) and our pool is still recovering from its original swampy look on Monday.

I checked the salt gauge an hour later and it now reads 2300 (which is where I would've expected it to be after 5 bags of salt).

Weird.

- - - Updated - - -

I also bought a salt test. It should be here Saturday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.