swimmers leaving a milky trail

May 22, 2014
Alabama
:confused:I have a 86,000 gal gunite pool and we have a problem with the water. The pool is located in an indoor facility down in the deep south. I've tested the chemicals and they are all within normal range. The issue is, whenever someone gets in to swim, through their movements in a crystal clear tank, they are leaving a milky trail behind them as they swim. I have also noticed by looking at an angle under the lights that it gives off these effervescent effect. While diving, some of our equipment was covered in these trillions of small bubbles. This has happened before and we don't know why?

here are the readings we just took:
Fr Cl 1.08
Tot Cl 1.75
com Cl .67
ph 7.6
alk 136
Cal Ha 490

Thinking it may have been the start of an algae bloom so we added 128 oz of Algaecide.

The weather has begun to change where daytime temps are hi 80"s to low 90"s.
If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. What type of chlorine do you use? What are the active ingredients in the algaecide and how often do you use it? Do you use an ozonator?

I don't think this is algae at all. This sounds like people having lotions or oils on their skin that come off in the water. That is normal. Either you can have the patrons rinse off prior to entering the pool or you can consider using enzymes that will help break down these oils. Normally, they simply get moved to the skimmer and get caught in the filter. You can use a scum ball in the skimmer (or gutters, if that's what you have for this larger pool).

Chlorine isn't great at removing oils, suntan lotions, etc. These normally get caught in the filter, but will remain on the surface for some hours assuming there's a break between bather load. Our own pool gets that when my wife is in it due to the suntan lotion, but it is always clear hours later and certainly by the next day. When I clean the cartridge filters (once a year since they are oversized) they are always coated with suntan lotion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.