Electrical Earth

Feb 9, 2014
Australia
My pool installer asked me to provide an earth wire from the fuse box to bear the pool. Apparently the regulation in Victoria Australia is that pools are grounded via the electrical system.

This was never installed and the cable is sitting there coiled up.

Is the earth meant to be connected to a copper rod in the concrete bond around the fibre glass in gound pool? Or is there a more sophisticated installation required.

I have followed up with the installers, but no response yet.

Thanks in advance.

Australia does have different bonding requirements than the US does.
Since you have a fiberglass pool the concrete, metallic and electrical structures are all that you can bond. Hopefully they bonded everything together so all you need to do is connect the earthing wire to the copper rod in the concrete.

Can you contact the installer and ask what was done in that regard?

Installers interest has dropped to zero, he has been paid.

The pool is installed and the concrete is poured and everything is paved. Does this wire connect to the re bar in the concrete or just a copper rod into the concrete? Is it somethin the pool builder does or the electrician?

Thanks

My pool installer asked me to provide an earth wire from the fuse box to bear the pool. Apparently the regulation in Victoria Australia is that pools are grounded via the electrical system.

This was never installed and the cable is sitting there coiled up.

Is the earth meant to be connected to a copper rod in the concrete bond around the fibre glass in gound pool? Or is there a more sophisticated installation required.

I have followed up with the installers, but no response yet.

Thanks in advance.
As has been mentioned, you need to consult with an electrician familiar with the electrical codes from your area. The US follows NEC.

An earth/grounding wire from the panel should have been run in the cables to power the equipment. This grounding would be conncted to the grounding bar in the panel, which is bonded to a driven grounding rod as part of the electrical service.

Connecting the rebar, called Ufer grounds, may be required, but again, check with local codes. I did a quick scan of Article 680 in the NEC, and the only equipment required to be grounded are underwater lighting, circulation equipment and other equipment installed for the pool within 5 feet of the wall. Again, this may not apply to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.