how long does slamming take?

May 21, 2014
NJ
I've brought my FC levels up to shock level but don't know how long does it normally take for FC levels to return to normal (approximate time frame) once overnight and CC test passed.
I'm a new conversion to the TFP way because I've had enough of the pool store guy selling me everything under the sun. So far a doing much better with water chemistry. Also, why can't I add my pool & equipment description to my profile so I don't have to add it to every post. Any help would be appreciated.:

7500 gallon in ground vinyl liner.
Sand filter (oversized)
gas heated (covered mostly, unless warm enough or being used)

Chemistry numbers before slamming
FC-7.4
CC-0.5
PH-7.4
ALK-120
CAL-260
CYA-50

Welcome to the forum!

To get to your signature, click on the Forum Actions tab at the top, then click edit profile. Edit signature is on the left side, about halfway down.

Just to confirm, you've held your FC at SLAM level continuously until all three criteria are passed? After the SLAM is complete, the speed at which the FC falls depends on bather load, air and water temp, and sunlight on the pool. Sorry, but there's really no good universal answer. Plan on a couple days.

Assuming you SLAM at 20 since your CYA is 50, FC will probably be down to normal in two days. Maybe sooner, if a bunch of people pile in. And yes, it's safe to swim all the way to SLAM levels. If it's 20 at bedtime, and 19 or better before sunrise, it'll probably be down to 15 by afternoon when its warm enough to swim.

Take the three tests in order.
1) The water is clear. Nothing on the walls or floor.
2) CC is .5 or less
3) Loses less than 1 FC overnight.

If all three haven't passed, you haven't passed. Keep SLAMming!

Thanks for the reply and info.

It may take me a little to learn how to navigate the site but I'll get there.
Yes all three passed. The clarity wasn't an issue any way but the CC & FC both passed this morning. I just began to see small areas which I thought were algae ( but could have been pollen but I don't think so) and the CC at .5 so I brought the FC to 15ppm. It held over night and the CC is 0-.2.

Also, when the water balance is correct, does keeping the solar blanket on to much affect the FC levels? Is there a general rule for how much the cover can stay on? I realize that heat loss is mostly at night but with the cooler than usual spring we've had I have been leaving it on more than I usually do (heating cost concern). Does the sun light penetrate the clear blanket at affect FC levels? Should I switch to a blue color blanket to stop the sun from breaking down the FC?
Any thoughts?

Also, when the water balance is correct, does keeping the solar blanket on to much affect the FC levels? Is there a general rule for how much the cover can stay on? I realize that heat loss is mostly at night but with the cooler than usual spring we've had I have been leaving it on more than I usually do (heating cost concern). Does the sun light penetrate the clear blanket at affect FC levels? Should I switch to a blue color blanket to stop the sun from breaking down the FC?
Any thoughts?

I think the effect of the cover on chemistry in a pool that has no issues is minimal. The biggest effect is the fact that the skimmer doesn't work with the cover on, so if you have a lot of dust and debris falling on the cover you may need to clean the pool more. If I have my cover on and we aren't swimming regularly, I usually roll the cover up a couple of times a week for at least a few hours.

Remove the cover every couple of days for a few hours. Allow the pool to breath a little. There is no general rule.

Don't overthink the blue vs clear blanket. It really doesn't matter much in the big scheme of things. :D

I rolled up the cover shortly after posting that the slamming test past but come to find that I can see light green stains in the same spots prior to slamming (all stains in hopper area). it brushes away easily but I'm really confused about if its algae or maybe just pollen. I brushed the entire pool last night before covering.
Thoughts?............ Driving me crazy.

I'd hate to keep slamming if its not algae. Is there anyway to tell?

This morning the FC dropped 1ppm or less overnight and the CC remained at .0 to .2. That makes three night in a row. The water is still crystal clear and no signs of any greenish stains.
Thanks for the help and advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.