HELP! New pool owner and I feel like the pool is winning. :(

May 21, 2014
Dallas
Hi! I need help ASAP!!
We bought our home at the end of summer in Dallas.
house is 36 years old.
Pool is aprox 20+ years old,
35,000 gallons
IG, Plaster, & hayward pool filter

My biggest concerns:
1. cannot locate the drainer/skimmer valve. a neighbor's HUGE tree hangs over the pool and we constantly have dust and pollen in pool. I can't figure out how to switch to the drain and bypass the skimmer until its all out. There isn't a valve by the pump & filters. I'm not relying on the bottom drain for leaves & debris. We net & use the leaf master for that.

2. I think the booster pump died yesterday that powers the polaris. it turns on and makes noise, but no water pressure. how do i figure out what's going on?

Thanks so much!!
Tasha

Welcome! :wave:

Open up your skimmer and look in the very bottom. There are probably two holes. One goes to the pump, the other to the drain in the bottom of the pool. There should be something resembling this above the holes and below the skimmer basket:
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

That is how you regulate the balance between the skimmer and the drain. With the flap on the bottom of that thing closed, it will all go to the drain. With it wide open, all skimmer. This is all assuming there are two open ports. Often one of them is plugged off. In which case, I'm no help at all.

If you have a ton of pollen and leaves on the pool, you want to catch them before they waterlog and sink. That's what the skimmer is for. To make life easier, stretch a knee-high nylon across the skimmer basket. When it loads up, take it out and flip it upside down and the stuff sort of flakes off with ease. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58581-Skimmer-Sock-Nylon-Illustrated

Can't help at all with the cleaner. I use a manual vacuum. Seen too many posts like yours to want an automatic cleaner now.

Hi Richard! Thanks so much for the reply!!!
I have attached the picture under the skimmer basket.
I noticed to the right of suction hole it says full skimmer, and left of it full drain.
How do I configure this?

The pollen we are getting is like dust. It's such a pain! We rake the leaves constantly and the polaris helps a little. Don't think it's worth the $$ new though.
image.jpg

Hi Richard! Thanks so much for the reply!!!
I have attached the picture under the skimmer basket.
I noticed to the right of suction hole it says full skimmer, and left of it full drain.
How do I configure this?

The pollen we are getting is like dust. It's such a pain! We rake the leaves constantly and the polaris helps a little. Don't think it's worth the $$ new though.
View attachment 29592
You have the other style. We have pictures of that in the Encyclopedia, too!
joenj-SkimmerDrainDiverter.jpg

I've never actually seen on in person, so maybe someone else can answer. It appears you slide the door over - it looks just like the one under the spaceship diverter --and it restricts skimmer flow. I'd just experiment. If you close that flap and the pump starts making fuinny noises, open it up again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.