Deck foundation

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
What should be the foundation for the deck supporting posts to rest on? Should I use concrete blocks? I don't want our deck posts to sink in the first rain! :lol:
Our ground is fairly firm, btw. A hard rain can make it a bit mushy, though.

AZ - in the middle of the desert. Go months without rain, then it can rain buckets during the monsoon in the mid-summer. No bad frost, but we do get some below freezing nights in mid-winter, usually no colder than upper 20's, and once in a very great while (like once every 10 years or so), snow.

I saw dek blocks on the net. That good, huh? :?:

Check with your local codes department first, if you have one for the middle of the desert. :wink:

I was thinking of using dekblocks too, but was told by our local codes folks that under no circumstances would they accept it. The requirements here are 16"x16"x12" concrete footers.. :shock: I just hope I never have to dig them back up.

(If I haven't mentioned it, the codes people here are very anal - they wouldn't let me install the electrical feed for the pool - said I had to have a licensed electrician do it. Doesn't matter that I have a BS in Electrical Engineering...I don't have a license... :roll: :roll: :roll:)

MikeInTN said:
The requirements here are 16"x16"x12" concrete footers..

That's one heck of a footer for a foot traffic deck.

Once great advantage of having an AGP is it's not permanent,so why should your deck be? I'd say blocks. I have no plans on moving my pool or deck for as long as I live here so I used Sonotubes buried at least 2' down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.