clorox shock

It's not on the Clorox page, because Clorox just rented out the name. I wondered who was really behind this company. According to this article it is KIK Custom Products who purchased Chem-Lab (which we've seen before). They have a subsidiary, Easy 1 2 3 Pool Care LLC, that has a licensing deal with Clorox to use the Clorox on their products.

I found another article that's very pessimistic about this venture.
“If you asked someone, ‘Hey, what chemicals are you putting in your pool?’ They wouldn’t have a clue,” says Art Harre, president of pool and spa products for Haviland USA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They even have easy to use "chlorinating liquid!" http://cloroxpool.com/product/chlorinating-liquid/

I wonder how much they charge for this bottle of bleach?
At Lowe's recently Clorox brand chlorinating liquid was $4.88 (10% 1gal). Kem-Tec was $3.68 (10% 1gal). So you pay 30% for the name brand on the label. The stuff is probably from the same plant.

The KT brand is slightly cheaper that what I pay for GreatValue per chlorine oz, but they keep it outside at the Lowe's that carries it. Since 10% degrades faster, I'm not convinced it would actually be cheaper, but I'm drifting over to the bleach prices thread.

That Pool and Spa News article is very telling:

For one retailer, the main worry is consumer confusion. “My first concern is that customers might go back to assuming they can put Clorox [bleach] in their pools, which we try to educate them [against],” said Susie Hoskins, co-owner of Olympia Pools in Fort Wayne, Ind.

Oh the horror of people using Clorox (or any other brand of) bleach in their pools! That cat is out of the bag. So long as there aren't additional additives in it (e.g. thickeners, scents), bleach is bleach whether it's from a grocery store, big-box store, or pool store. Chlorinating liquid is just concentrated bleach. So buy what is affordable, convenient, and/or ecological (reusing/exchanging bottles).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.