CYA, Chlorine levels, safe to swim?

Jul 9, 2008
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and still in the learning curve with our above ground pool. Now realize we have the CYA way too high (100+), but I am confused about the chart showing recommended chlorine levels as they relate to CYA levels. Is it safe to swim in the pool when the chlorine levels are above 3.0?
My pool test kit says no, but if I understand the info on this site correctly the CYA also buffers the chlorine so those high levels shown on the chart are okay for swimming.

Please clarify.
Thanks!!!

27 ft round vinyl above ground @ 20k gallons, sand filter.

Your understanding is correct. You won't notice the chlorine at the recommended levels from the chart due to the effect of the CYA.

With CYA at 100, I would swim with FC levels up to 25. Some people would swim even higher. With high CYA the active chlorine level is actually much lower than it is in many indoor public pools, even when the FC level is above 25.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.